Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Steering feels different one side to the other

830 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  96 Black 
#1 ·
On my 96 Impala, I've noticed that the steering is noticeably stiffer to the right than to the left. Anyone else expereinece this? Any idea what the cause would be?

#2 ·
A Little More = Alot Better

Add some background and anything you've already done in terms of diagnosis and inspection, and you'll undoubtedly get scads better quality responses.
Recent damage?
Loaned the car to someone else?
How long since you've "noticed" this?
Pitman Arm is high-centered ---- in the center?
Been to a shop for anything else lately?
I take it you at least took the trouble to jack it on stands and have someone cycle the wheel while you scrutinize below?
Strange or unequal tire wear to go with this feeling?
Yada yada

#3 ·
Lessee....it's been doing for the longest time. Years. I have 240,000 miles or so on it. I replaced most of the front end parts approx 30,000 miles ago - upper & lower ball joints, upper & lower control arms, bushings, center link, pitman arm, idler arm, tie rod ends, sway bar end links, Those changes made it neither better or worse. A visual inspection shows every thing looks normal. No collision damage. Front tire wear evenly and not too rapidly. NO one drives it but me (you;d have to be crazy to loan a car to my friends).

#4 · (Edited)
Good

With that I'm going with:
- A galled shock, though a failing one would outright seize and die before too many years. Or,
-You cinched down one side of the bushings while still in the air, but waited until weigh was loaded on before tightening the other side. Or,
- (this is out there) totally sacked/absent body bushings. Or,
- (even further out) your seat is wonky on one side and throwing your arm leverage off compared to the other. Or,
- The more plausible is the box is out of adjustment/worn/damaged. You're lucky at least one other recent thread (and numerous with search) describing the adjustment procedure.

Ques: When panic braking or a big dip do both sides bounce exactly equally?

EDIT: Sway bars. They can get twisted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.