Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

How to remove transmission cooler lines

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mdtrooper314 
#1 ·
When I replaced my rad the lower trans cooler was just a big pile of rust. Needless to say I destroyed what was left of it getting it out. I followed the line back to where it attaches to the transmission.....Is there a trick to getting it disconnected on that end? I can barely see or touch the line and i don't see how i'm getting a wrench on there.

#2 ·
About The Hardest Part Of Replacing A Transmission

Yah, I sure that part of a tranny job, too. I've done it several times, but always as part of an R&R. I recall connecting and tightening just before raising to final position to install CXmember. In any case I would NEVER try it without a full complement of tube wrenches, box-ends, crescents, --- and patience.

As much extra work as it sounds, you might maybe want to think about dropping the tranny an inch to access everything easier. Sure beats the hell out of crossthreading something or buggering up stuff to where it's a permanent leaker eh.

#5 ·
As much extra work as it sounds, you might maybe want to think about dropping the tranny an inch to access everything easier.
Ugh, really...just to replace a cooler line?

IIRC that factory service manual suggests removing the catalytic converter to gain access to the fittings. That job presents its own challenges, though.
Since my cats have 122k miles on them and have never been touched my next post may be "how to remove rusted on converter".

I remember there being a way to just replace the aluminum piece that goes into the rad. I'll start doing a form search on that. I dont know how to do it, but there's no way its any harder than lowering the trans or removing the cat

#6 ·
Do you know if there's enough room to get my hand in there to thread the new part on? I don't want to cross thread anything.

#7 ·
Im glad you made this post. I made a post like this in the drivetrain section and not much help except for one decent soul..lol I knew I would get more feed back from here though. I have been looking for info on this for the past two weeks. The fittings at the trans on my both of my trans lines are leaking. I am looking to recreate another set of lines with new fittings while adding braided lines to the mix.. from my understanding to get to the lines you will have to drop the crossmember and lower the trans a bit..smh..some say you dont have to remove the cats..Im definitely not trying to do that. There is no room up there at all to put a wrench or your your hands for that matter..Crows foot might work though..but I dont see how with no room to turn..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.