Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Steering Wheel locks and Engine shut off

12K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cletus284 
#1 ·
Hey,

I'm having a problem with my 95 Impala SS 5.7 L. I was driving 2 days ago and out of no where my car starts lowering speed, steering wheel locks up to where i can't turn not even a little, the check gauge light comes on and then the low oil light comes on and the car wouldn't move. So i turned the car off then back on and it started and went back to normal after driving it a bit more it happened again, turned it off then on again and it ran then again it happened. I checked the oil and it was full ...
This happened once and found out my belt ripped up causing the steering wheel to lock up and not run.
I took it to a mechanic and they tried reading codes and nothing showed up there was NO check engine light. Does anyone have an idea of what might be the problem?

#2 ·
Have them check fuel pressure.

"lowering speed, steering wheel locks up to where i can't turn not even a little, the check gauge light comes on and then the low oil light comes on and the car wouldn't move."

All indication that the engine has died, or is running at such a low rpm that nothing is working as it should. Fuel pump will not set a code.

#5 ·
Ok... well it seemed like it locked could be hard to turn but didn't want to try and force it. No need to get any further problems..
I'm no mechanic or big expert on cars... but when you mean "engine died" is that implying that it's going bad completely like it won't work.. or "engine died" as it shut off because there's something preventing it from running...
Thanks for the Replies by the way

#6 ·
We mean that the engine died because something is going bad that either controls fuel or spark. The first suggestion was for a fuel issue and my suggestion is for the ICM (Ignition Control Module). The ICM is bolted to the front of the driverside head just above the ignition coil. Lots of times when they go bad the engine will restart immediately but as time goes on it usually takes a while for the ICM to cool down then the engine will start again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.