Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1996 impala code p1441 problem and questions

17K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Knight703 
#1 · (Edited)
I went out and started the car I have not really been driving it but once a week but I have been starting it up and letting it run daily.
The check engine light came on.

took the car to auto zone got it scanned code p1441 popped up
which is - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Flow During Non-Purge.

been researching fixes on here and a few other sites and
pretty much same info check solenoid and lines and charcoal canister purge valve may be stuck open etc.

only thing is I dont know where half this stuff is but will eventually will
if anybody has pics would def help as you can tell not the best with cars but am deadset on learning as much possible use to just pay mechanics for the smallest ****... until I realized I dont have the money to be doing that lol

anyway as I started my search for loose/cracked vacuum lines
I came across this I dont know if this has anything even to do with my problem but it didnt seem right maybe wrong.

this is a picture of the line im referring to...
after giving a very sight tug it came off very easily.

here it is off I tryed to put it back on it went on but its very loose doesnt seal/plug tight.

does this have anything to do with my problem.

also just to add the guy at autozone cleared the code :confused:
so right now the cel is off. I also was going to buy a new gas cap and probably still am but when I went to see if it was tight and took it off there was no pressure just unloosened maybe that could be it?

so all in all
anybody that has had this problem any tips/pics of where I should be looking and what has helped your situation and what am I looking at pricewise if I have to change out solenoid / purge valve/ lines
need this done asap
gotta get emissions in like a week and a half

See less See more
#7 ·
have not replaced the gas cap yet plan on doing that though.

thing is like I said the guy cleared the code so right now the cel
is off.

I found a somewhat damaged rubber connector
changed that.

does anybody know the name for the grommet in the picture I posted above.
so I can purchase one from autostore

could not find it on the diagram.

#10 ·
Check the rubber elbow coming off the TB, they dry up, deteriorate and create a leak.

#11 · (Edited)
ok Ill check the throttle body area.

this is the area I found the connector that was damaged wasnt cracked to the point I could see thru
just looked like cracks/ stretch marks..

anyway I noticed the the silver part was threaded.. am I missing something here or just connect it back with the rubber connector.

didnt have any rubber connectors just used the existing one and wrapped it teflon tape then electric tape on top for the time being

probably just gonna go get the emissions done and see what happens
if I fail they can tell me where the problem is cause I dont see anything out of the ordinary.

the evap canister/ charcoal is under the battery area on 1996 impalas?

need to check there

#12 ·
There's your problem. There should be a transitional rubber piece connecting those two "male" ends. I think one side is 1/4",and the other is 3/16".

#13 ·
not sure if your referring to the picture where its not connected.

but there is a rubber connector that was there had a bunch of stretch marks .. but I put it back after teflon tape eletric tape just until I get a replacement

like I said have not been driving but do start it let it run
the check engine has not came back on its been about 12 start ups Ill know saturday if I pass emissions

#14 ·
One way to fix issues like this in a semi-permanent way is to use an appropriate size piece of shrink-tube over the affected area. Heat to shrink,and done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.