how much should a paint job cost - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ProTools4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 4,394
 
Send a message via AIM to ProTools4
how much should a paint job cost

What should a paint job cost in SoCal on a 96 B-body.

hi end and low end

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI END
10 out of 10 equal or slightly beter than factory but not so nice I'm goint to cry the first time I plow a cone
96 DGGM - bone stock looking car has almost no damage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Low END
8 our of 10 paint job clean simple looks ok from 6 feet away
96 retired 9C1 - nice black or silver paint job, car has some minor dings and dents all police acc. are filled already

NotoriouSS Tad
96' ImpalaSS - Johhny 5 - 7.9 @ 89.07 1.734 - sshhhhh......
96' 9C1 - POS / surf sedan / Beater - traps 103MPH / 30+MPG freeway~
67' El Camino - Rosie - 7.9 @ 86.5 1.77 60' on a street tire NA
15' Cruze 2.0L TD <-- hate it <--
ProTools4 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Senior Member
 
SEOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 1,297
 
your covering a HUGE range of prices with that question.
Its all in the prep work. Most of the bill covers all the prep, it all depends on how much you want the shop to be involved in quality prep.
Not sure about down in Cali but I have a bodyman that paints a **** load of classics and hot rods, he will completely strip the old paint, do any metal work needed, block it out until its as straight as possible and shoot a nice base clear or candy if desired for around $3000, and thats his "deal price"! usually its around $5000. he wont paint a car if he doesnt get to do it all himself from stripped to wet.
then again, there is a shop around the corner that advertises Base/clear any car for $999. I went in to check it out, and that is for NO body work, NO stripping. Basically prep will play 90% of the final look.
Maybe do all the prep yourself and then take it in to one of the hole in the wall $999 type places. personaly I cant afford $3-5000 for paint so Ive been taking months to prep my 68 and gonna take it in and spend $999 when its ready

95 CAPRICE B4U WHT (SOLD)
6000K HIDs, LEDS, Steelies/Chromed caps W/ Coopers, Grey Bonnies, Gary's Wires, TB bypass, Air Pump delete, CAI, Dual Elec fans
68 BUICK SKYLARK 2D HT--2nd owner, all original, rust free 350/th350, almost ready for paint!
79 Eldorado Biarritz White on White, factory Olds 350
SEOK is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: No Name City (SoCal)
Posts: 6,611
 
I took my 9c1 to macco, they did a great job!
So much I took my 2nd car there.
I figure someone's gonna rear-end me, or it'll get door ding and shopping carts, why for over the $?

1996 9c1 L99, now w/ LT1. 208k and counting.
1996 SS BBB
BigB9000 is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
IMPALASS_RIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Friendswood
Posts: 4,899
 
Send a message via AIM to IMPALASS_RIDER Send a message via Yahoo to IMPALASS_RIDER
in texas you looking at no less than 2500 and they say for that price you wont get a "good paint job" do its all in who you know.. im sure cali paint jobs are NOT cheap..

'95 DCM < unladylike *been down since jan 17th 2010*
'95 DGGM 383, 100 shot *fiveash*
2013 F250 LIFTED on 37's
2012 Accord
'95 BBB SOLD
IMPALASS_RIDER is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Narc 9c1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,369
 
Garage
I just got quoted at $4,500, and that is if I remove all the molding and door handles myself.

I was looking for very nice paint, with a good clear coat and cut and buff.

I am also planning on changing the color of the car, so that included body work and jams.


95 9C1: Purchase Price: $1k -- T-56, AI 190cc Heads/cam, 355 Bottom End, 58mm BK TB, Intake Ported by AI, CIA Quad-1 Long Tubes w/ Export Pipes, 3:73s, Eaton Truetrac, SS Rearend (width), Eibach Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, PPM Front End, C3Fab 5/8 Extended Control Arms, SS Interior...
53 Studebaker Starliner: sold!
69 Grand Prix
Narc 9c1 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
BABYBLUE9C1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 7,095
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOK View Post
your covering a HUGE range of prices with that question.
Its all in the prep work. Most of the bill covers all the prep, it all depends on how much you want the shop to be involved in quality prep.
Not sure about down in Cali but I have a bodyman that paints a **** load of classics and hot rods, he will completely strip the old paint, do any metal work needed, block it out until its as straight as possible and shoot a nice base clear or candy if desired for around $3000, and thats his "deal price"! usually its around $5000. he wont paint a car if he doesnt get to do it all himself from stripped to wet.
then again, there is a shop around the corner that advertises Base/clear any car for $999. I went in to check it out, and that is for NO body work, NO stripping. Basically prep will play 90% of the final look.
Maybe do all the prep yourself and then take it in to one of the hole in the wall $999 type places. personaly I cant afford $3-5000 for paint so Ive been taking months to prep my 68 and gonna take it in and spend $999 when its ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPALASS_RIDER View Post
in texas you looking at no less than 2500 and they say for that price you wont get a "good paint job" do its all in who you know.. im sure cali paint jobs are NOT cheap..
thats sounds pretty accurate what Seok amd Rider says, alot of the resto jobs go for around 5 grand, its alot of work, i know that first hand, 2500 hundred is for quality job, it all depends on the shop also

high end- $2500 and up
dents/ body damage taken care of
metal work if needed
sand entire car
spray the whole car with primer
block sand entire car
jams
prep car for paint, i.e. paper, masking, cleaning
painting then clearing, baking
color sand
polishing

finish will look like glass!!

some people dont understand ( i know i didnt at first)in all this, the price covers material (primer, paint, clear) tons of Labor (sanding, metal fab, car prep, polishing paint prep)


low end-$800 and lower
subtract color sand and polish, very good prep, tiny dent repair


ive seen the difference between quality and crap, my buddy took his thunder bird to one a day( i told him to go somewhere else and spend lil more) he spent 600 and it looked like sh1t, they painted the dirt on the bottom molding of his car..nuff said. if its for a daily your not too worried about go low end, if its for your pride and joy go high end



So Cal INC
1996 Caprice 9c1
5-15-1996


R.I.P. David Fornwalt...burnin' rubber from up above

Last edited by BABYBLUE9C1; 03-14-2011 at 09:42 AM.
BABYBLUE9C1 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Member
 
2ToNEwGn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CALI SS
Posts: 69
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYBLUE9C1 View Post
thats sounds pretty accurate what Seok amd Rider says, alot of the resto jobs go for around 5 grand, its alot of work, i know that first hand, 2500 hundred is for quality job, it all depends on the shop also

high end- $2500 and up
dents/ body damage taken care of
metal work if needed
sand entire car
spray the whole car with primer
block sand entire car
jams
prep car for paint, i.e. paper, masking, cleaning
painting then clearing, baking
color sand
polishing

finish will look like glass!!

some people dont understand ( i know i didnt at first)in all this, the price covers material (primer, paint, clear) tons of Labor (sanding, metal fab, car prep, polishing paint prep)


low end-$800 and lower
subtract color sand and polish, very good prep, tiny dent repair


ive seen the difference between quality and crap, my buddy took his thunder bird to one a day( i told him to go somewhere else and spend lil more) he spent 600 and it looked like sh1t, they painted the dirt on the bottom molding of his car..nuff said. if its for a daily your not too worried about go low end, if its for your pride and joy go high end

^^^^^ This.

CALI-SS

1996 9c1- in pieces

2ToNEwGn is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Senior Member
 
DeathmobileSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,123
 


If you spend $2500 to paint your daily driver, the painter better look like this!

BTW, you gotta love Google....they have pictures for all kinds of ish!!!

Shawn
96 Impala SS- 355 Forged bottom end, LPE211 cam, Heads and Intake Ported By Tad, TunedByTad, Vigilante, VacModded 4l60 built by Remac, 3.73, CIA headers, Bolt On's
62 Suburban
DeathmobileSS is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ProTools4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 4,394
 
Send a message via AIM to ProTools4
Mopar chick huh
bet she has bad wiring!

NotoriouSS Tad
96' ImpalaSS - Johhny 5 - 7.9 @ 89.07 1.734 - sshhhhh......
96' 9C1 - POS / surf sedan / Beater - traps 103MPH / 30+MPG freeway~
67' El Camino - Rosie - 7.9 @ 86.5 1.77 60' on a street tire NA
15' Cruze 2.0L TD <-- hate it <--
ProTools4 is online now  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Roadcaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: BluegraSS SState
Posts: 405
 
I'm guessing it is around 2500-3000 everywhere, however I did take mine to a guy who said he would replace the hood and fender with quality parts, and fix a plate size dent in the door. 2700 bucks. I smiled and left as quickly as possible.

Seems like most body shops around here only want to do insurance work, and a lot of them will quote you high, just to get rid of you. Unless you are Allstate or somebody.
My friends brother owns a pretty busy body shop (He does 95 percent insurance work), he just got divorced and had to give his wife 6 rental houses and 750,000 bucks. What's that tell you?

There was a guy here on the forum that painted another members car for him for around 2500, had a nice long thread with the progress and pics, but I can't find it now. I think they were in Texas?

Bobby- ISSCA # 2410

1996 DCM SOLD! Build date 10/02/96
_________________________
"Quench my thirst with gasoline" Hetfield '97
Roadcaptain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome