Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

interior lights not working....

17K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Phantom59 
#1 ·
My interior lights do not work....... I see my digital speedometer during the day but at night that is all i see as well...... i tried the fuse but when i put it in.. there is a quick spark then the fuse cracks... does anyone know what i can possibly do to troubleshoot?

#3 ·
Can you rotate the inst. cluster illumination dimmer wheel(next to the head light switch on my '94--don't know if it's the same for all years of wagon)all the way so that it turns on your dome light? If that works, then (if your vehicle is equipped with one), it's prolly the chime module that's bad. Does your door chime work? If your chime doesn't work, AND your lights don't come on when you open the doors, BUT they(the light)come on when you rotate that dimmer wheel, then that's most likely the cause. "They" don't make them any more. If you find one, buy another for me, and I'll pay you.

The module is plugged into a panel on the firewall/floor board-ish area under the steering column. Mine was green(except for the black soot streaks that leaked out and clung to the side of the housing when it fried).

As for your fuses blowing...I'm all thumbs when it comes to 'lectricity and sir-cuts and what-not. Good luck on THAT one.

#4 ·
Funny you asked that... the door chime comes on when i open the door but the dome light doesnt even when i rotate the lights on...! I failed to mention that mu door locks dont operate..... i replaced the fuse and they worked for one unlock then the fuse pops.... that was the situation..... the cluster lights work but i thing something doesnt come on... ill check when i get home!

#6 ·
Your dimmer switch may be fried. It is not uncommon.

The door lock fuse could be a shorted lock motor, or the lock relay may be shorted. The lock relay is behind the driver's side kick panel, behind the E-brake. You could even have a bare wire touching something. The lock motors use the circuit breaker, and the relay uses the fuse.

#9 ·
You have a short (for once it is actually a short, not an open circuit). You are probably going to have to troubleshoot with a VOM. The other option is to unplug parts in the system to isolate the short. Start at one extreme end, and work your way to the other. You need a wiring diagram. If you do not have an FSM, the Haynes Manual has a wiring diagram in the back that will suffice. The Haynes Manual will not give you the location of the part, but will supply the color code, and show the parts in the circuit.

Help , mine is having a similar problem my dash light fuse pops as soon as i put a fuse in the int dim., i tried everything ya mentioned in previous threads and all works as should

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.