Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

WTH, front swaybar moved sideways ?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Eracer 
#1 · (Edited)
FWB, newly installed:
-Hotchkis springs, BJs, endlinks, shocks.

Now the dang swaybar is literally resting on the frame. Sheesh. Anyone experience this before ?

I forget which bar I have on there, it's a fattie. Could be Addco. Had this happen on the wife's Jeep GC with a new Addco bar. They sent me collars to fix between the bar mounts.

Maybe I should just crowbar the bastard over and see if it stays put.

Edit: oh yeah, I was wondering why my test drive seemed disappointingly rough. Lol. OK, crowbar ain't moving ****. Guess I'll be loosing the mounts and massaging it back with a BFH.

3 pics to follow here -->

passenger side

another passengers

drivers

See less See more
#2 ·
you need to size the drop links to match the frame drop, *achieved with the coil springscwm5:)cwm5

shorten the swaybar drop links and then things will return to normal :D:pcwm7

BTW

your on the bumpstops in the picture:p:p:p

#3 ·
Also appears that your sway bar has been pushed laterally (from tire contact at full lock) exacerbating the condition--agree with Tad on the end link length.

As for the ride, if you're already on the bump stops when static, ride quality is going to suffer--just for giggles, remove the lower stops and see what that does to the ride. Trim what you're using to get some travel back before contact, and/or try the ZQ8 stops if you're not using them already--you still need to trim them to provide some free travel before the stops come into the picture.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi guys.

Yeah, just kissing the bump stops :) I have ZQ8s in stock from a while back. Maybe I'll try trimming the stockers first, paint it with machinist blue and see if it contacts the frame, assess ride quality and such.

Thx for the end-link advice. At first glance the geometry does not look fubar, i.e. bar ends level with bushings. But definitely looks like a tweak is in order. Found the thread on end link length a while ago, I'll be revisiting that.

My tires have been contacting the sway bar at full steering lock in the past, but never had issue with this swaybar walk-over contacting the frame. Come to think of it, this may have happened when I had the car on jacks and going lock to lock, greasing BJs after install.

EDIT: I just took another good look. I think it's this pos bar I have on there. I bet it's an addco, they suck so bad.

With car steering neutral, the endlinks are tilted towards the front of the car at an ungodly angle. Like 30deg +. It appears the swaybar is not long enough to meet over the control arm links. It does not appear that shortening the links will provide enough bar length to compensate for this.

I could relocate the bar, or get another. I wonder if I still have the stocker...hmmm.

#5 ·
I made spacers out of 1/4 metal stock between the frame and sway bar mounts, no sway bar rubbing.

#6 ·
Thx Pogo, I pondered such a thing but I assure this is not the case. Take a look at the last pic I posted.

The bar is dimensionally INCORRECT.

I bought it many years ago, could be a used piece from a forum member, I do not recall. I recall getting a rear impala bar from lenny however.... Damn Lenny !! Lolz

In the past, as with my wife's jeep, Addco has supplied some ****-awful product. As in dimensionally incorrect. As in, not long enough. Not bad enough to replace but still something to make you go hmmm.

I do also recall hearing the telltale thread on metal scrape when I went lock to lock. Musta been the endlink threads contacting swaybar hole.

This is f'in ridiculous. But I guess I have a few choices - find my old bar, buy a new bar, or relocate this pos. Which may not be a bad thing since the swaybar mount holes in the frame are usually so f'ed up, I can start with some new studs welded on in a different location. Set back an inch or so.

#7 ·
Heh. I'm not crazy after all. At least not at this particular moment.

The aftermkt bar is definitely too short. I dashed off to the recycler yesterday and copped a stock bar. Can anyone ID this bar ??

aftermkt bar laying on top of stock 30mm B/D bar, It's a good 3/4" - 1" short of the proper endlink location.

closeup

Caprice bar top, "somesuch" bar bottom.

Caprice bar lying on top of "somsuch" bar.

Cappy on top again, closer.

So, who wants to play "Name That Bar" ??

#8 ·
None of the aftermarket bars is "exactly" identical to the original. Different thicknesses,clearances to the idler arm,slightly different bends,etc,etc...

#9 ·
Oh yeah, I didn't expect the bar to have the same bend patterns or dimensions as a stocker. Just a little shocked it's short by whole 3/4 - 1".

I take full blame having it on there for the last few years. I obviously never did a thorough enough visual after dropping from the lift, etc. I imagine the recent hotchkis drop exacerbated the issue, making it more apparent. Happy to get it resolved. Sorta sad I lost my big honking bar.

However, I am looking forward to evaluating the new setup (stock bar, hotchkis, konis) vs the old setup (honking bar, stock springs, monroe SS's).

That being said, I'm still just curious if anyone recognizes the bend pattern...
Could it be a generic aftermkt 70's-80's GM fullsize bar ? An addco ? As I mentioned previously, I have a first-gen addco on wife's WK Jeep and it falls short in the same manner. Not quite as bad, but it's disappointing how little they QA'd their ****.

No matter, more than likely I got this bar on the cheap and I ain't crying foul. Unless it's Lenny's fault :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.