Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

tips for performance mods for 1996 impala ss

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  9C1 Newbee 
#1 ·
Hey guys just picked up a 1996 impala it runs but it has a cracked block. Oil and water are mixing where ever the crack is. I have another block to redo everything. No big deal. But my question is. What would be some options for a minimum of 400hp at the crank?

The only issue I have is I live in North Carolina, and the car is a 1996 which is OBD II. What could I get away with and still be able to pass the inspection. As far as I know as long as the check engine light isn't on. I can pass. I know people that will let me go with no catalytic converters. But you can't trick the computer when you hook it up to the cars ECU.

Bore/stroke?
heads?
cam?
torque converter?
rear end? (3.73 felt reasonable in my 1994 cobra might go that route again)
Intake?
exhaust?
Tuner?
wheels?(black 16inch bullet holes with 315s in the back)

I want to stay away from forced induction, and Nos
im aiming to make a car that I could daily drive if my daily driver died on me. So for now just something to drive on the weekends.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#3 ·
Since you're starting from scratch, there's way too much you need to know about for anybody to re-type it all in a post.
Go to the top of the performance section and read through the stickies, especially this one:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228114

After digesting the information from all those stickies for a while, lots of people here will be able to help with specific questions.

400 crank hp will be a piece of cake and can pass emissions in any state, as long as whoever builds and tunes it knows what they're doing.

#4 ·
If I were starting from scratch, I'd order a motor from Mike Harris at B body Performance.
He's in Ohio which is not too far from NC. In any case, he's one of the best at any distance!

Here's a post you can send him a message from:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=334394

He's 1FAST94

Nab

#5 · (Edited)
The only issue I have is I live in North Carolina, and the car is a 1996 which is OBD II. What could I get away with and still be able to pass the inspection.
There are no problems with your goals in NC.

What part of the state are you from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.