Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Sacramento Drags Wed.

4K views 48 replies 7 participants last post by  Narc 9c1 
#1 ·
anyone else heading out that way this wed the 27th. i am running my car for the 1st time b4 i get the heads on. just want to see what the diff is.

#3 ·
nice what do you run and what are your mods if you dont mind telling me. i just have a rebuilt lt1 about 5-10,000 on her now with a cc306 valve train to go with it and 1.6rr thin body then i have it dyno tuned. so il see what that runs then i have some stock heads but had them worked over and then some 30lbs injectors and some 373 and a 2800-3200 stall then il tune it again and then run it and see if i get any better

#4 ·
I've been trying to make it out. What time will you be down there?

#10 ·
Yeah I'd love to make it out there. I've got a ton of things going on but I'll see if I can't push em back.

#12 ·
Hey man let's see some results!! Sorry I couldn't make it, my car wouldn't stay running. Think I have a fix though so I am going to try and make it out next week.

#14 ·
Better than my time as I haven't even had it out yet! You thinking about going back next week?

#16 ·
I think she's down on power...that's why I want to go. Plus I need some seat time. Last time I took a car out to the drags to race, I was 17 and in my 89 350 S-10, so I'm inexperienced to say the least.

#20 ·
#27 ·
This is what is happening to me at the start. If I keep it in drive and hit the gas, the tires spin and send it into second gear but when it catches, the rpms are low enough and it will usually kick down to 1st.

When I massage the gas pedal so as not to spin so much, it shifts to second too early (4k rpm or less). Shifting manually allows me to get my first gear power and massage it up to 6k.

Not sure if this is normal with a 3200 stall or if my shift points are just off.

#22 · (Edited)
With a stock converter, and street tires, I would pull around the water, spin the tires just to clean them off (no big smokey burnout), and leave off idle, and in drive.

Your goal isn't to lay down a super fast pass, but to be able to run 15.1x as consistently as possible. And go Rounds.

Stage, Launch, and drive the same way every time.

Shifting manually defeats the purpose of having an automatic (consistency) at this level.

Anyone can throw money at a car and make a fast pass. You have to be able to drive it to win rounds.

I first raced a 30 year old 6000 pound station wagon which ran mid 16's, and later got it down to 15.8's.

#31 ·
Yeah I know I need some DRs. I even have two spare impala rims to throw them onto but I was hoping to get them widened before I bought the tires.

btw looks like rain today but I was planning on going out next week.

#33 ·
$25 dyno? at the Drags? This is the first I've heard. I've used motor machine's dyno and they charge like $125 just for a run.

I'll let you know when I head out.

#35 ·
So on a last minute whim, I headed out to the track last night for my first run with the new setup as the weatherman was wrong about rain (shocking). Didn't text you, Keith cause I didn't want to embarrass myself as it was the first time in a long time.

RT: .323
60ft: 2.165
E.T.: 13.58
Trap: 103.024
Race Weight: Approx 4350lbs

Bottom line, I need some DRs or Slicks and am leaning toward the slicks. After some searching on this forum, some people have claimed that DRs will spin under sub-perfect track conditions. Barbarossa, you may have a different experience at Sac Raceway.

I'm hoping that if I shed 100lbs and throw some slicks on the car, I might be able to touch the 12's. That's the goal.

#36 ·
#38 ·
That's an awesome time for stock. Teach me the ways, master!

#41 ·
Yeah, I didn't mean STOCK stock, just motor stock huh? Looks like you do pretty well!

narc thats still good just got to get that 60 foot time down witch the tires should help. i think u will hit mid to low 12s
That would be amazing! But high 12's would make me pretty happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.