Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

What are the widest tires you can fit on a stock Impala

25K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  96 Black 
#1 ·
Like the title says, what are the widest tires that you can fit on the rear of a stock impala? I already am running 275's on the rear on the stock rims, but I'm looking to upgrade to 20's on all 4 corners and I want to run the widest tire possible on the rear without notching the frame. So I guess my final question is, what width wheel, backspacing, offset, etc. to run the widest tire on the back?

I tried the search function but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

#2 ·
I take it you followed instructions for at least one of the two applicable stickies right above this thread?

#6 ·
315's

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input. This should help out, along with the stickies in the beginning of the page.
That said, I run 1 1/2" widened oem wheels and 315/35 on my BBB. FTR I'm sure everyone knows;
1. Caprice/9C1 do not use exactly the same axle as the SS
2. And my SS setup will NOT bolt to my FWB as the rear is either narrower, or, the frame is slightly wider.

#12 ·
13" of fender well give or take. Most 315/35/17's (Unless you are running a Road Race or Auto-X Tire) is in the 12.5" range. Leaving .25" on either side. You might be able to shove a "Skinny" 335, but will have to get the backspacing perfect. WIth the rear of these cars not centered I would not want to try. i have 315's with 2 different back spacings in the rear so they fit.

#13 ·
All that said, the OP has mentioned 20s, which could impact the relavence of anything we're mentioning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.