Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Awww Hell, I have a leak....

5K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  Sinister 
#1 ·
And yes, it's on the car....

Looks like I'm leaving small puddles of oil which appears to be coming from behind the crank pulley....

Please tell me this isn't going to be THAT expensive to fix cwm6

#3 ·
Is it dripping down the front of the timing chain cover?

Is it as simple as the hub seal?

#4 ·
Again, what year is your car?

If it's got the optispark, it could be one of 3 seals on the timing chain cover.

Water Pump drive seal
OptiSpark seal
Harmonic Balance Hub seal

Hopefully it is either the water pump drive or the optispark seal. They are the easiest to change of the 3.

-TheImpalaMan

#7 ·
Probably the seal for the WP drive since you just replaced the WP recently. Easy enough to pinch.

#9 ·
I thought you did your own auto work or at least had someone help you.

I'm certain that your opti seal is shot, if not also the water pump seal. Not just because it is easily apparent but because my original opti died from similar causes. If memory serves me right your seal is going to eventually explode shorting out your optical disks. This will sound like a big thud, the car will die, and you will be stranded.

#11 ·
Really dude, really?! the sh** you come up with, a small oil leak turns into your opti seal is going to explode WTF, I feel dumber for reading this.

The seals they are talking about are on the timing cover and have nothing to do with the internals of the opti.

#10 ·
Don't forget to do the 2 O-rings on the WP drive shaft coupler as well if/when you do the shaft seal.

#16 ·
You guys are the shizzzz.... it was the crank seal. Gonna have a shop do it for $185. I just don't have the time to mess with it....

But hey, the car was due for an oil change so that saves me the expense....lol

And yea, I don't know about exploding optis although I have had oil in the distributor. Not a fun or cheap fix....

#21 ·
I'm having the same problem..recently had a shop replace harmonic balancer and sleeve and timing cover gasket and noticed a leak everytime I ran the car...

96 imp
Lt1
Dnt really kno how many miles it has on it because the light went out

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#27 ·
Trust me, if they weren't before, they are now. I've had my car up there at least 20 times and have been using them for 6 or 7 years now....

I trust them fully with it. They are certain that is what it is but because there was so much oil, they were going to get her cleaned up and do a quick double check to see if there was any other leaks....

#35 ·
Good Luck Cracka.....this is what i was waiting to hear.....
"...they were going to get her cleaned up and do a quick double check to see if there was any other leaks.... "

from the mess you describe clean first and run it to SEE the leak source(s) then fix.
Sounds like you will be cruzin to Taco Hell before you know it... :cool:
-ALF out...

#44 ·
It makes sense to be visiting the "doctor" a lot, once you service something like that on a higher mileage car, you can usually expect 3-5 more small problems in a years time, basically everything that should have been done at once, if could have been afforded. When things are cleaned and or replaced (or you switch from dino to synthetic or high detergent), many more leaks become noticeable.

#45 · (Edited)
What??... I don't think even Crackah knows what kind of oil goes into his car. What does oil have to do with it anyway? I say it's more of an issue of wear and tear. I mean, if you have a leak at the back of the intake manifold, do you switch to standard oil or do you replace the gasket? You just replace the gasket. Same goes for the seal.

#46 ·
LT, do you comprehend the English language? Silly question, I suppose not, after reading a few of your posts.

#47 · (Edited)
No that's fine. Pretend like I didn't say anything. I pointed the finger at you first and you know it.

But only a few posts? You've been here since 2002 and you haven't had the full LT Scholz experience? In case you didn't know of all the forum trolls in ISSF history I was voted the most stubborn. Now is when you piss yourself.

#48 ·
LT, I've been in the game longer than you've been nutting in your brother's tube socks.

Oil? Easy. 5W-30 Mobil1 Full Syn. Been using it since 2004 in ALL my cars. And yes, i've had SEVERAL b-bodies.

I know more about motors, suspension, custom, rim size, interior and scematics than you will EVER know. The difference is that 1. I've been out of the game for a while and 2. I'm not motor savvy. I don't care to be.

Now, back to oil. I've done more oil changes than I care to count to. I stopped doing them because frankly I got tired of storing oil and getting bitched out b/c oil canisters were stock piling in my garage, however, I can change my oil in about 30 minutes.

So again, check yourself before you wreck yourself. Just saying.

#49 ·
We are HONORED to have you on this Forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.