Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

How to support transmission?

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  defdaboss 
#1 ·
Perhaps some naive questions.... I may need to replace the transmission mount on my 94 RMW. Before I paint myself into a corner, is there a best way (or a least damaging way) to support and elevate the transmission away from the cross member? Or is it obvious? And while I'm asking questions, to replace the tailshaft seal, better on the car or better to remove the tail piece from the rest of the tranmission, and if the latter, how to hold the transmission up in the meantime? Thx.

#2 ·
I've always used a floor jack, with a piece of 2x8 lumber to support it under the pan. That way, you can lift it up to remove the crossmember, swap the mount, and replace the rear seal. I've never replaced a seal with the trans under the car, so I'm not sure how roomy/comfy it is to do that under there. I'd be tempted to remove the tailshaft housing, and replace the seal on the bench.

#7 ·
Ah YES! At the very least, loosen those 4 bolts.

#4 ·
On a somewhat related note: I have a tubular crossmember; in preparation of doing my whole catback (actually headers, cats and back), I can take out the stock crossmember and leave the stock exhaust on untill I get my exhaust from Dan - true?

#6 ·
(sigh) cwm1

#8 ·
be careful when u jack up the tranny. u dont want to put the weight of the car on the transmission pan! i just install my engine few hours ago with the tranny on and had trouble putting the crossmember back on. any pictures of how it's removed so i could figure out how to put em back in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.