Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

heat not working

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  The Fooser Guy 
#1 ·
the heater on my car works for a few seconds and then gets cool if i turn the heater fan down for a min and then turn it back on its hot again but only for a lil bit then cool again any trouble shooting that i can do

#2 ·
#3 ·
look, listen & learn bruh, this is the best site, welcome

#5 ·
Its been well documented that coolant flushes could take several attempts.

Has your heater hose assembly been replaced? Also when the flush was done, how was it done or did a mechanic/dealer do the job for you?

#8 ·
Yeah I would definitely back flush the heater core, simply remove one of the hoses leading to the fire wall then use a garden hose on full blast to flush the crap out. I've done this on all the caprices I've owned, after that I could only use the heat on the lowest setting because it was to hot...lol

#10 ·
last week got in the whip and turned heater on, cold was pouring out, thought I was in Alaska, it was so cold, took it to Byrons and they changed a couple of hoses and sucked some gunk out and that baby, feels like in in Hawaii, thought I would share this seeing that I drive the whip every 3 1/2 to 4 months when I get here

#11 ·
Pull the heater core cover.

Gently un-bolt and remove the cover plate for your heater core (it's under the dash, up against the firewall on top of the tranny hump) and check to see if the core's retainer clips are still intact. The clips need to hold the core up, so that air can flow thru the core. I've seen several cases where people got in a rush and 'yanked' out the core, tearing up the clips. This leaves the heater core sitting on top of the cover plate, with air just passing over it (not thru it), which results in problems like you have. When you turn the fan down, the air above the core heats up (hot air rises), but when you turn the fan on again that little bit of warm air is all you get. If the retainer clips are broken/missing, it's time for a judicious use of zip-ties, etc. to get the core back up where it belongs.

HTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.