Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Mixin wheel sizes

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  214Texas 
#1 ·
Using the word staggered always makes me think about different diameter front to rear wheels and not different widths.

Anyone ever mix, say, 20"s in the rear and 18-19"s in the front? Pics?

#2 ·
It can definitely be done. Obviously it hurts your ability to rotate tires, but overall its no different than running a taller tire in back. Just be careful not to stagger more than 1.5" or so, or you loose ABS.

Off the top of my head I couldn't remember any Impalas set up this way, but I know that new Vipers have 19" wheels in the back and 18" wheels in front.

#3 · (Edited)
Can't rotate tires runnin different ("staggered") but same diameter either. Not a big issue if the stance is right.

That's where I'm at right now with suspension/wheel decisions.

Gonna install extended rear arms (and driveshaft if necessary)

Gotta figure out desired ride height then spring choice to get the fender height right with the widest (non-tubbed) rear tire width and staggered (both width and diameter) wheels that'll run as close to the fender lip as possible without hitting the fender.

#4 ·
The Caprice with the Z06 wheels is 18 front 19 rear isn't it? I like that car and look a lot. (I think his name is Mike?)

#9 ·
There's a few threads around on the subject. I ran 20/22's on my wagon when I had it, and the current owner is running 22/24's.

I've seen the 18/20 combo on someone's car here... I bet I could dig it up with a search. And I'll do that for Gene since he's helped me before, instead of saying "Go do a search!"

Back in a few.

#18 ·
You's a funny dude! Post up pics of your car mane! You got one of the tightest 'staggered' joints on here...24/22 IROCS on that DCM lowered to hell.

-Mike

#13 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Based on some numbers I ran on stock GM setups while evaluating ABS reluctors, the ABS computer should tolerate up to + or - 5% total wheel/tire diameter mismatch and not throw a code. This is purely a paper analysis, so take it for what it's worth.

#16 ·
Kurt, what size tires do you have pictured there? Extended arms? Springs? Cut or not?

#17 ·
Gene-

That is my best friends old car, from one of the links that I posted earlier, it was sometime ago and not exactly sure on the sizes of tires, but 18X8.5 in the front with 255/45/18's and 20X10's in the rear with 285/30's Sorry I can't remember it has been about 5 or 6 years now since he had them on there.

Springs are Hotchkis, Hotchkis extended arms, nothing was cut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.