Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Another turbo build started

7K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Bigdawg70 
#1 ·
So after a year or so of collecting parts I have decided to Bolt the system on to the motor in the car to get a base before swapping to a fresh better motor. The swap is pretty straight forward after a few hours of dissasembly i had the car taken apart. You can see the pile of old parts on the left.

With a 126k on the odometer suprisingly all the bolts came out with out breaking. I will be upgrading new wires and plugs once i get closer to tuning. Im removing the exhause in order for a new one just have to have a crossover y-pipe made. I had a few set back while working but nothing major. I did sum test fitting to make sure i will have no problems.

While test fiting intercooler lines i an into fitment issues around oil cooler lines When i tried to adjust th brokecwm3 They were already leaking so i will be removing cooler lines and adapter. Next up is new exhaust,turbo blanket , upgrade fuel pump and tune-up then work on tune. I still have injectors and regulator to install.Trying to decide which boost controller I will go with but I have a few weeks to decide.

See less See more
#4 ·
looks good... dont forget the rest of the power train. trans and rear end need to be beef'd up to keep them from breaking. (i did not see any onfo on your signature)
Make sure you have plenty of fuel and a right tune, you should be fine...
(your plans of upgrading the fuel pump are good)
good luck and keep the pics coming! :):D

#7 ·
Its a start wish i would have jumped on your old set up when i had the chancecwm3

looks good... dont forget the rest of the power train. trans and rear end need to be beef'd up to keep them from breaking. (i did not see any onfo on your signature)
Make sure you have plenty of fuel and a right tune, you should be fine...
(your plans of upgrading the fuel pump are good)
good luck and keep the pics coming! :):D
Yeah it was a spur of the moment idea to put it on over the weekend. I wanted to get a base with all stock components. Plans are to change gear, new trans with small stall and fresh motor.

#8 ·
Get that turbo blanket ASAP! It makes a huge difference.

You'll have tons of tire burning torque with that setup! What gear do you have in the back?

#9 ·
Turbo Blanket on order!!!!:D As far as i know its factory plan on installing 3.73 before I pull it out. Thinking of ordering the Jet DST and try my hand at tuning. I know i wont be getting rid of either of my cars any time soon. Since its not my daily i would like to learn on it.

More progress made removed old exhasust finish test fitting all intercooling tubes I have to trim air dam to fit. I have to find right thread for the low oil hole have a small oil leak for turbo drain line. I wanns undercoat floors before installling another exhaust. OH well more $$$$

#11 ·
No real progress right now. I have way to many projects going on. I got the turbo blanket installed picked up another sending unit (hoping my gas guage will work) Installed and modified for new walboro pump. Hoping to get tank dropped later in week. I will be undercoating bottom of car before tank and exhaust go back on. Hoping to have complete and back together next month but that hoping have a meet with my race car so that will start eating up time.

#12 ·
Update :

Car has been in corner since march. Finally pulled out a week ago and washed it and started back progress. Fixed a oil leak, undercoated floor and had exhaust put on. Still havent got fuel pump installed but hoping to get done over next few weeks. Still trying to debate on boost controller. I picked up a fbody maf and set of 3.73 w/reluctors on here this week so looking to get it tuned before end of year. Have to find what plugs to start withand install a set of wire.
Heres a few shots of exhaust. Went with set of dynomax turbo mufflers. Car is super quiet at idle.

#13 ·
#17 ·
Update progress has been slow but steady. I been working all over the car just did sum audio work to it and getting parts for future upgrades. Picked up a 10inch vigilante converte for almost free a nitrous plate and a few other small items. I installed the 42lb injectors and holley regulator. Question guy where should i start with the fuel pressure at? Wont be going over 8lbs. Also will be ordering a base tune off the gp going on. i had to move the car the other day and put the car into boost just to see what happened and noticed that oil started pushing out of pcv system. Are you guys removing or running check valves on the pcv system. I have also removed the egr system and looking to remove all uneccesary system since car does not need to have any emissions test on it. This is definetely a learning curve coming from all nitrous cars.

#18 ·
stock fuel pressure is fine

I used a check valve on the PCV line and open breather (I dont have a MAF)

#22 ·
No real updates. Car is back at my shop getting audio worked on. I took advantage of the GP from pcmforless and ordered a base tune, I got it back already hopefully this weekend I can get sum work done. I have new gears fuel pump, plugs and minor stuff to get done. I just picked up a Holley throttle body 58mm up for new motor. Im hoping in next 30 days to have car back up 100% and running and working on fine tuning. But with a newborn and work it will be tough. Hopefully sunday i can have a update with sum pics.

#23 ·
Small update. Didnt get All the progress I wanted due to a motor swap and insulating the shop this weekend but its the was a little. I took the car to shop last week and it wouldnt start. I figured I flooded plugs. Well after a 2 hour and 8 part stores I finally managed to get a set of plugs. Nobody carries the ngk plug in stock. I ended up going with a champion rc9yc which is the same plug that i run an my nitrous car. Lucky I had the car at the shop changing the plugs on the lift was much easier than on ground. Since Im experimenting I havent changed the wires on the car. While on the lift I decided it was a good time to change the oil. Good thing ended up pulling 8 quarts of oil and fuel mixed. (Note to self: Never install larger injectors on stock tune:rolleyes:) I used the GP from pcm for less to get a start on tuning so after swapping ecm and installing a 3.5 maf (which of course needed a reducer but we had one in stock at the shop). The car started and ran just as smooth. Didnt get a chance to drive it yet but Ill hopefully be getting out there this week for gear and fuel pump swap, And take it for a spin. Here is the best update this week I got my door panels reinstalled for the audio. So the car is getting closer back on the road.

#24 ·
Made it to the shop today. Managed to get 3.73 installed and new sending unit with walboro pump. I was also able to get front shocks installed. Test drove it Gears are nice and quiet. Put a lil boost on it and still pushing oil from sumwhere coouldnt use the check valve I bought it was wrong size:mad:. I ended up Blocking off pcv on throttle body and driving. With only 5lb on car it feels much better. Car pulled good and quick to 65 on a 35mph street:D. Its hard to get a real feel because its 9 degrees out side and with new gears tires are breaking easy now at least till it warms. Hopefully I can get back Sat and try to chase down this blowing oil under boost. Does any one Have any ideas? Im hoping it isnt a intake but I dont think so it still only Passenger side. Wideband should get ordered next month. Hopefully I can get my innovate up and runnig so i can start logging sum hits and turnin boost up. Really hope I can get it ready for summer by end of feb .

#25 ·
just to be sure, you have removed the hose that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body, right?

The valve cover/crankcase has to be vented and that port on the TB needs to be capped.

#26 ·
just to be sure, you have removed the hose that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body, right?

The valve cover/crankcase has to be vented and that port on the TB needs to be capped.

Yeah I capped off the throttle body but I didnt remove. The first time I drove it today there was oil all over passenger side. Then when I capped it off there was more oil down back passeger side off block and on top of trans. Im thinking it may have pushed or broken the valve cover gaskets. I have had the car 5yrs and never removed. Ill prob be pulling to check and replace. Im wondering with over 100k on motor should I invest in a catch can. Swap out valve cover and use one with a singlr opening? I was looking at this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251093003632?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

#28 ·
Update!!! Good news and Bad. Bad news first. R.I.P. Motor and trans. Once I started trying to work bugs out of the car. I started noticing issues I couldnt control the blow by and it would steadily have oil under the hood. As I started hooking up the blow off correctly. It instantly went from 6psi to 13psi. I noticed with the low boost trans seemed funny, basically it was just slidng into gear. Just for a test I ran the car at 13psi on time and trans would instantly blowthru and not shift. The motor had so much blow by That it pushed the dipstick clean out the motor and under the car.
Good news! Ihave been slowly picking up parts over the last few years for new motor. I picked up a Cahall pro-built tran this week and spoke with him its getting sent back for a freshen up and billet upgrades so hopefully my trans prob will be solved.Also have a 10inch precision converter going in car I picked up. I already have a forged 355 motor almost ready. Block is done crank is done. I have to take to shop to have balanced just trying to decide on balancer and hub. I picked up a set of mild ported heads from tick performance last year all fresh with a set or hot cam springs. My last big decision is a cam. I really liked how the car would sit there and idle with no noticble idle. Im thinking of getting a hot cam possibly sumthing small to help with flow. Hopefully over next 2months I can make sum progress on getting car back done. I may be swithchig over to E85 and seeing what kind of power I can make over 93. This should hopefully be a fun car once done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.