Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

check engine light flashing then goes solid!!!!!

40K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr pogo 
#1 ·
for about a week every morning upon start-up my check engine light flashes on startup and idles slightly rough then it goes solid and the rough idle stops. then about every other day while driving thoughout the day it goes off completely only to start the whole process over the next morning can some one please help me

#3 ·
The flashing usually means it's an immediate problem occurring right now. When It stays on steady, that's an indication that you had a problem at some point (makes sense). But yes, you need to get it scanned. I'm guessing perhaps egr related.

Sean

#5 ·
yes it is a 96 i just took it to the dealership and now they are telling me that i have a blown head gasket and based on the age of the engine (mileage =119k) that i should go ahead and drop a whole new engine in it!!!!! and they quoted the price for the engine and work at 4800. im pretty overwhelmed to say the least, im 20 yrs old and trying to weigh my options and see what im really lookin at or if what they are saying is even legit. please help

#9 ·
they told me they found coolant in one of the spark plugs. i just had my car serviced by the dealership the week before because it was leaking coolant and they put a new coolant surge tank in basically they have done all repairs and servicing of my car i will take it to a local auto parts store and have them pull the codes though

#11 ·
The auto parts store will just give you a missfire code. That wont tell if there is coolant leaking into the cylinder. And I've seen some mechanics misinterpurate a lean (white) burn for a coolant burn. They need to test the coolant for hydrocarbons or do a leakdown test.

#10 ·
Do what they said above, get it scanned first. Even "if" you need head gaskets, not sure how far you are from George Bates Automotive (Upland, CA), but his shop is great with our cars and will not rip you off. A dealership telling you you need a new engine is BS. Stay away from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.