Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Race wheel questions

7K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Narc 9c1 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying some drag racing wheels. What kinda backspacing do I need? Also is 10" wide a good width to go with?

Here is one of the wheels I was thinking about. Trying to keep the price down.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-85-5173/overview/

What do you guys think?

Do you guys have suggestions for tires?

#2 ·
I'd send a PM to Mike Harris (1FAST94) he has studied this subject exhaustively,and I'm sure he would share his recommendations with you.

#4 ·
I got your PM. Try to stay with factory wheel offset to keep the tire under the car. For 8" wheels, a 4" backspacing will work and is popular. For 10" wheels you need a 6 1/2" backspacing, but 6" would work. If you run 10" wheels you'll have to be careful what tire you use so as not to rub inside and may need some thin wheel spacers. I have notched my framerails and use a 10" wheel with 6 1/2" back spacing and can run whatever tire I want. Pat Gish uses a 10" wheel with the same offset with a smaller tire ans stock framerails.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. If I go with the 10" with 6" backspacing, how wide of a tire can I go and be safe? (no rub)

#6 ·
I run 15x10 Holeshot Holestar's with a 6" BS, and 28x10 Hoosier slicks, and they fit just fine.YMMV This is with non-centered axles, and stock ride height.

#7 ·
#9 ·
#12 ·
Thanks! I may try some alum 15x8's since I am thinking of trying the MT ET Street Radial Pro, but just like when I was trying to buy rims/tires for my street car way back when, I'm getting indecisive on which way to go cwm2

Wondering for a top Class 6 contender if I really need the 10" or not. Probably not? My concern is a lot of my recent weight reduction has been in the back end, so not sure how she's going to launch now.

OP: Hope you don't mind me tagging onto your thread, been meaning to post up on this same topic myself :eek:

#13 ·
Blake, If buying new, I'd forego the 8x15 wheels and go 10x15. The weight difference is more than offset by the better options you'll have down the road - optimizing contact patch with different tires you may choose to run. I started with a used set of 8x15's and ended up buying new 10x15's.
With that said, 8" will do you just fine for bolt-on power levels, so if you see a deal, jump on it.

#14 · (Edited)
Sounds good. I am looking to try the MT ET DR Pro's, seem to be really popular with the 275 crowd running way better times than I plan on. MT states not to use them on a 10" rim but a lot of guys running WAY fast seem to be doing this without a problem. I would like to stick with a "popular" rim size if I go aluminum, I don't want to spend all the money and deal with finding tires down the road. Plus my steel rims are already 15x10 I think.

I still have those old slicks from Norm Campli's 9C1 which must be 10 years old by now :eek: But are getting close to the wear marks so I will prob need something soon. Just need to decide if I want to keep with slicks or try DR's. Planning on 12's on stock motor and 11's when I go spray (stock motor) down the road.

I'd like to go with alum but not sure if the advantage is worth the cost I'm seeing for the Holeshots. :eek:

#15 ·
I'm running the new 275 MT's on my new setup. They work fine with my 15x10 Holeshot's. I also switched to MT radial skinnies for the front, as well.

Haven't raced with them yet. Spray may be coming soon.:D Maybe.:p

#16 ·
#35 ·
The more backspacing you have, the more it tucks it IN towards the frame.

Bob you coming to Nats this year?

I have 15 x 10's with 6" backspacing. They fit well BUT due to the cut of the wheel (Boyd Smoothie I's) I had to do some grinding on the rear calipers to get them not to rub when I hit the brakes.

No big deal, who needs back brakes anyway? :D Seriously, just a little shaving needed, no big deal. It only hit when brakes applies since the caliper moves so a little grinding and some paint made it look good as new.

Rims out of the box...never to be this clean again...

-----

They tuck nicely even with 28 x 12.50 MT ET Streets since the tire tapers at the top.

-----

Nice slick wrinkle.

-----

Even when I take most of the air out of the bags and keep her low she still tucks ok with the big tires and 15 x 10's.

Attachments

#18 ·
#19 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'm going with Bassett D-Hole Lightweight steel wheels 15" x 10" with 6" backspacing in the rear.

Now with the tires, what diameter should I go with. I'm running 4.10 gears.

I'm also lowered 3" in the back so if I go with the above wheels, what is the widest tires I can go?

#20 ·
#23 ·
Those will take your gearing back to 3.73, but I like em.
Forgive my ignorance, but is that a bad thing? What is the advantage for going with a taller or shorter tire?

#22 ·
Great info, guys! Subscribed!!

#24 ·
I don't think width will be a problem, with those tires. Height may be an issue, since you are lowered. I assume you went with 4:10's to give you a little more snap with the 22's, going to a taller tire will give you less gear, and a little less snap.:D

#25 ·
Ok, thanks. And yes, I did the 4:10s to counter my 22" :)

Do you guys think this would be a better choice: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-17317/overview/

It is 28" tall vs. the 29.5" for the other one. It's also more narrow though.

Or is there a better option?

#27 ·
Right now my SS is just bolt on. I have a S/C I plan to put on "soon" and I also have been collecting parts for my new stroker motor which I "hope" to have done in the next two years. (fingers crossed)

Is there another choice for a wider tire that you know of?

#28 ·
Hey, on a 15x10 would a 5" backspace work on an impala rear? I got a guy on the hook for some light weights, or would I be limiting myself on tire choices?

#29 ·
5 inch BS will definitely rub the frame. You are going to need 6 to 6-1/2 inch BS for a 15X10 wheel.

#30 ·
Thanks, that is really too bad, these were a good deal. Just out of curiosity, wouldn't the smaller 5" backspacing push it out away from the frame and rub on the fender? Don't mean to sound like a punk but I'm new to the wheel game and just trying to get it.

#31 ·
15x10, with a 5" BS, will work with a 26X10 slick, at least it did on mine.:D My buddy runs my old 15x10 Telestars, with a 26" Hoosier QTP, with no rubs, but I wouldn't suggest driving them on the street.

It will vary from car to car. HTH

#32 ·
If you have a 9C1, your rearend will be a little narrower, and they may tuck. All the 5" BS wheels I have run were fine on the frame side, it just got a little toasty on the fenderwell side, but they all worked fine at the track, for racing only. I also run stiff racing shocks, as well. HTH

#33 ·
Blast, I have an impala rear end. Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.