Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Moding up the trunk

45K views 84 replies 35 participants last post by  iowaSSfan 
#1 · (Edited)
Got bored so I decided to try my hand at making a trunk kit. Very time consuming so far, but gonna be worth it. Thinking I am going to use black carpet since I'm leaving the black trunk mat in. Also going to add doors to the sides and move the battery into one if it will fit. Already ordered a 4ft white led to mount along the back and wire into the factory trunk light. Thinking about adding some red ones for show and in the storage area. A cover for the trunk lid is in the future as well. These are all just held in by pressure so far. I will look for a few places to mount with hardware once the carpets on. Let me know what ya think or if ya got any ideas.

Started with some cardboard to get a ruff idea. Still had to make adjustments 3 or 4 times.

See less See more
#67 ·
Plan is to cover the side panels with a gray carpet to match the existing trunk carpet, then cover the center inlaid piece in black suede to make the 3D leaping Impala logo. Wish me luck. Have to go find all the supplies at the fabric store. Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#68 ·
Opted for a vinyl after being told by some expierienced guys it would be much easier to work with than the suede. Picking up some gray carpet tomorrow for the rest of it.

#71 ·
Thanks guys! Rear panel is 54" across the top, 48.5 across the bottom and 21.25" tall in the center at its tallest point. These measurements will not get you to the quarter panels though. My side panels go in first and then the rear wall is sandwhiched between them and the top of the trunk. You will just have to keep marking and trimming the top and bottom until it fits nice and snug.

#76 ·
#78 ·
The Impala Logo is cut out of 1/8" hardboard. I glued that to the insert and then covered the whole thing with vinyl. Start in the middle and pull it tight while moving out. Not as bad to do as I thought it was going to be. I got a lot of tips and tricks from my fellow INC members who do this stuff all the time.
Here are the dimensions for the boxs if anyone would want to recreate. Took me 5 hours to get the first one to fit like I wanted. These will fit on both sides of a 26" spare tire and be TIGHT. You will have to reverse the offset on the front of the box for the other side so that they come out and around the spare tire.

#80 ·
good work bruh

#81 · (Edited)
Nice Job Man. Looks great.

I am with 1slow96 on the spare tire thing. Although I think about carrying a spare with me on long road trips, most times I don't. Especially if you have other than stock height tires, like myself and and a lot of guys on here. The spare would have to match the exact tire height that you have on the car if you have a limited slip or "posi" rear in it. OF course this is only if you blow a rear tire that this would apply to, but if you run mismatched sizes with a limited slip, you will damage the rear.

I like the concept of keeping a spare for sure, but these days, a phone and AAA will at least get you to a local shop. :)

#83 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah, I figured if I got a flat in the rear I would swap one of the fronts to the rear and put the spare on the front. Spare is about 1"smaller than the aftermarket wheels. Problem with towing would be getting a lowered car onto a flatbed. When I run power tour you have to be clocked into each nights venue by 6 ish. If you dont make it than your not an official long hauler. I could at least make it there, clock in, then go find someone to fix the flat with the spare on board. I have made it 3 years so far without needing a spare for the SS and hope I never do, but its nice knowing its there if need be.

#85 ·
Could not have done it without all the support and help from you guys! Thanks again! I'm feeling pretty confident after this turned out so well. Now its got me thinking of trying my hand at a fiberglass rear deck with 4 6X9s and a set of componets up front. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.