Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Window Seal

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Yog-Sothoth 
#1 ·
1995 Roadmaster, front driver's side window leaks. The upper seal has become folded over, see picture. Can that upper seal still be found new or am I looking at a trip to the junkyard?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's happened on my car a few times. Just put the window down and get your fingers in there and pull it back out. Kind of hard to describe, but just start where it is normal and keep working it back out til its back in place. Then slowly close the window and make sure it goes into the channel correctly. Unless it is ripped or torn, it should be fine.

#3 ·
You will probably find yourself unfolding it on a regualr basis. If it got folded once, the cause is still there.

#4 ·
Not sure what caused mine to fold in. Maybe the window catches it as it goes into the channel. Any ideas what causes this to happen and if it can be prevented? It's usually not a problem since I just pull it back in place.

In the 15 years I've owned the car it has happened just a couple of times on each front window. I usually notice it right away and pull it back out and it's fine. It still has the original moldings and it hasn't happened again for quite a while.

#5 ·
The rubber takes a "set" when held in a position for a period of time. It is difficult to relieve the set without damaging the rubber. Sometimes heat will help to relieve the stress of the set. The only other possibility is to replace the part.

The reason it folds over, is probably a misalignment of the metal track inside of the door. The window may be cocked out a little bit, and it catches the run channel as the window approaches the top. I have not had the issue, so I am not able to give you a definitive answer. It could have happened for the first time before you got the car, and was never adjusted.

#7 ·
Yeah Fred, I was thinking the same thing with the window adjustment. I just have not seen this hapen enough for it to be a concern.

The times it has, I caught it right away and was able to "man-handle" the molding a little and pull it back out without damage. So far so good and its been a while since it happened.

#8 ·
I would think that the bottom of the track is too far to the interior side of the door, causing the window to point out slightly at the top when closing. The production tolerances of the glass may also allow it to be curved less than necessary to fit the curve of the door. If you get two tolerances out in opposite directions, it can cause issues. So, it could be the glass itself.

#9 ·
Mine did the same thing. I replaced the weathertrip. I need to check the adjustment. The glass catches momentarilly, as it goes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.