Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

p0118 and hard start with warm engine

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  96claSSc 
#1 ·
I have code p0118 and I already change the sensor out once. But the code came back when I cleared it. What could be wrong now?

The dash temp gauge doesn't work either.

Car starts really bad when engine is warmed up but ok on cold starts. I have already replaced it with a vette starter about a month ago. Is the code p0118 have anything do with that?

#2 ·
PO118 is ECT high voltage,this is the "sensor" located in the water pump. The temperature "sender" is on the passenger side cylinder head,and only drives the gauge. Do not confuse "sensor" with "sender". You will get the wrong part every time. Check connectors,and wiring for damage. FSM gets real in depth,but requires a scan tool.

#3 ·
Yea I have a scan tool and know the differences in the 2.
Do the wires to the sensor usually go bad ? As far as grounding out.

As stated I replaced the sensor already. So my nxt step is the wires.

Does any one know why the rough start?

Thanks

#4 ·
If the ECT sensor on the WP is shot, it is probably telling the PCM that it's 20 degree's causing the PCM to direct more fuel to the engine thinking that it needs it...kind of like an old school choke stuck closed. Check the connector for that sensor , the wires tend to crack an inch or so away from the connector.

#6 ·
Po 118

Found this thread doing a SEARCH... (who does that anymore?...lol)

Had the PO 118 on the beater ex-taxi (9C6) and checked the wiring / connector to the sensor looking for broken wires, but it turned out to be corrosion in the connector.
Sprayed it with some CRC Electro-motive spray & scrubbed it with a small wire brush.
reconnected, cleared the code & so far so good! Thanks All!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.