Replacement battery - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Electrical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Gearhead65
Default Replacement battery

tHE BAD:

My battery is on its way out. The green eye has gone black and the battery charger refuses to charge it, indicating it's bad.

THE GOOD:

The battery has been in the car since '04 when I bought it. Who knows how long it was in before that. Original battery? I doubt it, but I put 6 years on it without a hitch. And it has not led a good life. It's been discharged, recharged and has sat for several months at a time and is still alive, for now. I will have to say, it's a good battery. I would like to replace it with something as close as possible. No Wal-Mart junk. I see NAPA has a direct replacement for about $86. Any input?
95 9C1, HB/FB delete, AIR pump delete, TB bypass, sewer pipe w/K&N, B&M transpak, dual Flowmaster Delta flow 50 series, fuel pump kill, clear corners, LED dash and floor lighting, after market remote start and keyless entry, over 122,000 miles and still counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM

CRSSDCM has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Cant go wrong with a NAPA Gold for the money.

Me, I would do a DieHard Platinum and get the 7 year warranty, but thats a $180.00 battery.

Your call.

Denise Milani is the hottest female ever created and put on this planet. Case closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got 'Cupcake' Bearings? View Post
Sorry to break it to you but Metal is dead. The 80's ended a long time ago.
"I am Metal and I'll never die. We are Metal and we'll never die." -Ronald James Padovano
Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 PM

9c1sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead65 View Post
tHE BAD:

My battery is on its way out. The green eye has gone black and the battery charger refuses to charge it, indicating it's bad.

THE GOOD:

The battery has been in the car since '04 when I bought it. Who knows how long it was in before that. Original battery? I doubt it, but I put 6 years on it without a hitch. And it has not led a good life. It's been discharged, recharged and has sat for several months at a time and is still alive, for now. I will have to say, it's a good battery. I would like to replace it with something as close as possible. No Wal-Mart junk. I see NAPA has a direct replacement for about $86. Any input?
I just replaced my battery on Friday. An Interstate that had been in there since Dec of 2003!

FWIW I replaced it with an EverStart from Wal Mart. $77 after core. The battery is made by Exide, who also just so happens to make the batteries for NAPA.

There are 3 producers of car batteries, and all get labeled with different names. Do a little research on it, I was surprised.

http://www.galttech.com/research/car...ar-battery.php
Old 03-29-2010, 03:49 AM

Gregg-O is an unknown quantity at this point

If I ever had a battery that lasted 6+ yrs. I would replace it with the exact same make.

\'96 IMP SS BBB ,Stock, airbox is swiss cheese, K&N filter, Ultra Flows.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:18 PM

KAPONE.SS is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my AC Delco that was in the car when i bought it 5 years ago and I beat the hell out of it with car audio. I have had deep cycles die in less time than that. would have gotten the same one one but got an Optima with 1000 ca.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 PM

92SS wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1sheriff View Post
FWIW I replaced it with an EverStart from Wal Mart. $77 after core. The battery is made by Exide, who also just so happens to make the batteries for NAPA.
no offense, but they SUCK if its the same as our wal-mart sells. I went through 3 of them before I decided to just get my money back
92 Caprice Wagon,PPG Pearl White paint,shaved roof and rear bumper,Katskinz 2-tone leather interior,Riviera console w/B&M floor shifter,3 pillar gage pod,350TBI w/Stage II tranny,Dynomax headers,2.5" Frankenstein exhaust w/Flowmaster 40's, Hotchkis bars, Panasonic in dash DVD w/flip screen and 16 MB Quart speakers,KILLER-B Speakers Pods, 4-15" Savard Rap subs,AudioControl EQ/X-over, and 3000watts of REAL amps.Bagged on 20" torq Thrust II's.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3089619
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM

Gearhead65

2MK 07 is stamped on top of the battery. Anybody know what this means? I think it's the manufacture date, but i'm not sure how that is translated in this case.
95 9C1, HB/FB delete, AIR pump delete, TB bypass, sewer pipe w/K&N, B&M transpak, dual Flowmaster Delta flow 50 series, fuel pump kill, clear corners, LED dash and floor lighting, after market remote start and keyless entry, over 122,000 miles and still counting.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 PM

Gearhead65

Found the answer to my own question:

Looks like it was manufactured November 2002 according to this:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/batteries.html
"The code is a string of letters numbers, but all the real information you need is in the first two characters. Usually, the code starts with a letter that corresponds with the month--'A' for January through 'L' for December (some manufacturer's codes omit 'I'; for them, 'M' indicates December). The second character of the code is a numeral that stands for the year. Thus, a code starting 'A2' indicates that the battery was shipped in January 1992; 'B2' indicates February 1992, and so on. (Delco reverses the letter and the number; a Delco code starting with '2C' indicates the battery was shipped in March 1992.)"

Not sure what "07" means though.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 PM

Mikeceli is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to stock "Interstate" in my shop. They are good batteries. I went to them for a warranty, about 10 years after I left the trade and they "blew me off".

I have been using Walmart and Costco in my 8 autos and travel trailers. Both with good results.

If you travel Walmart is the way to go. We have driven around and across America, several times (30,000 miles). Walmart is THE EASY'EST TO FIND and keeps longer hours than Costco, Sears, etc.

1996 Impala SS DCM

1996 Impala SS BBB

1995 Buick Roadmaster Sedan

2001 MagRed Corvette Coupe
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 Diesel
1979 \"Bandit\" TransAm 403/at
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
1986 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 4x4
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 PM

9c1sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SS wagon View Post
no offense, but they SUCK if its the same as our wal-mart sells. I went through 3 of them before I decided to just get my money back
No offense taken, it's not as though I made the batteries myself! lol.

But yeah, I had been avoiding Wal Mart as I was shopping around, but my research showed that the EverStart ranked really high in comparison. And as stated already, it is the same battery that is sold at NAPA and those seem to get lots of favorable remarks. If I do have any problems with the EverStart, I will be sure to post in this thread about it.

I do know that some Wal Marts sell batteries made by Johnson Control as well, cant remember the "label brand" though. Maybe those are the ones you had?

What type of battery do you run now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.