How to Bypass AC Compressor Clutch - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Heating/Cooling/HVAC
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 AM

STILL SLUM is on a distinguished road
Default How to Bypass AC Compressor Clutch

I tried to find a sticky on this & had no luck. Anyone know the steps? I need to bypass it until I get all the parts to replace the AC Clutch....from other posts the accumulator & orifice tube.

For the orfice tube...Auto Zone shows it .99 Cents, is that the correct part? Part Number:MT0098-1

Or the 16.99 one
Part Number:MT0628
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 AM

Beertestr

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILL SLUM View Post
I tried to find a sticky on this & had no luck. Anyone know the steps? I need to bypass it until I get all the parts to replace the AC Clutch....from other posts the accumulator & orifice tube.

For the orfice tube...Auto Zone shows it .99 Cents, is that the correct part? Part Number:MT0098-1

Or the 16.99 one
Part Number:MT0628
You can't bypass the clutch on the accessory drive. All you can do it put in an AC eliminator pulley. Dorman makes one, but it does not fit right. You need to drill out the mounting holes (they are thread, and so is the accessory bracket) and then shim it forward ~1/8" to get it to line up properly. The F-body AC eliminator requires a shorter belt (pulley is smaller)

Do a search on Rockauto or Autozone.com etc.. for the Dorman PN. I checked the PN 3 times in 3 different parts servers, including Dorman's website, they all came up with the same one, and I ordered the part from 3 different parts sources, hoping that they mis boxed one... they mis-boxed MANY..

You might be better off just replacing the clutch and leaving the compressor unplugged until you get the system recharged. The clutch can be serviced without removing the compressor. You can rent the clutch puller from GhettoZone.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 PM

95INDYLT1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILL SLUM View Post

Or the 16.99 onePart Number:MT0628
I just did this, this past saturday. Dorman Part# 34209 from advanced auto parts, and as stated you have to drill out the holes, because of threads that dont need to be there and I had to space the pullley out with two washers to get the belt lined up properly. Good luck
95 Caprice Wagon, 150k miles, home base del, MSD opti and coil, K&N CAI, dual 40 flowmasters, Boss 20x10 (275) and 20x8 (245) 338 rims, 2 10 inch Infinity's 1000 watt Punch Amp, Pioneer HD radio, HID's
91 Caprice Wagon 250k miles, beater with a heater for winter driving, 305 tbi drinks oil bad.... one owner, shaved roof rack and side rails, Flowmaster 40 muffler, two 10 inch RF Punch subs 600 watt JBL amp, HID's
New motor soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 08:46 AM

SilverTruck04 is on a distinguished road

What if instead of getting a new compressor or the bypass pulley he just gets a shorter belt for now. Would that still work? Has anybody tried this?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Beertestr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTruck04 View Post
What if instead of getting a new compressor or the bypass pulley he just gets a shorter belt for now. Would that still work? Has anybody tried this?
Won't work. Look at the belt routing, you will see that you need at least an idler for the belt not to rub on itself or travel over the tensioner properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.