Fuel line leak - repair options - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Master slacker
Default Fuel line leak - repair options

The leak location is behind the driver's side door, about 18 inches downstream of the fuel filter on the supply (3/8 inch) line. It looks like it was chafed and it just wore a small hole / tear, but there is nothing in the area for it to rub as it is between two supports with nothing else around. Weird.

Anyway, seeing as complete replacement lines are no longer available, I'm looking into repair options. So far, the only good option I see is a 12 inch nylon replacement with two barbed ends:

1. Autozone - Dorman 3/8 in. (10 mm.) x 12 in. with barbs flexible nylon fuel line repair - part number 800-181 - $11.99
  2. Napa - Contents : (1) Fuel Line
    Length : 12"
    Manufacturer : Dorman Automotive Manafacturing
    Manufacturer Part Number : 800-181
    Product Application : Universal - $5.99
There's another rub an inch away from this hole, so I'll be removing at least one inch of existing hose as it is. Every other post I've seen in my searches mentions a "Napa kit" or replacing the entire line with OEM piece. Are there any other options, opinions, or recommendations? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 11:34 PM

biohazardmind is on a distinguished road

Napa also has a kit that builds these push lock lines. You can get 90 deg or straight fittings and the tubing comes in bulk so length is up to you.

Balkamp # BK 8275112 the kit has all the PN's I am sure you can buy the pieces individually and the tool that presses the fitting into the tubing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 04:06 PM

silverfox103
Send a message via AIM to silverfox103

I repaired gas lines on my good ole northeast daily driver wagon several years ago. I used the NAPA kits. They worked great. They were still good when I sold the car after two years.

Tom C.

Last edited by silverfox103; 05-22-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Master slacker

But what is the "Napa kit"? That's what I don't understand. Is it the piece I have in the first post?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 PM

CapriceLt1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CapriceLt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardmind View Post
Napa also has a kit that builds these push lock lines. You can get 90 deg or straight fittings and the tubing comes in bulk so length is up to you.

Balkamp # BK 8275112 the kit has all the PN's I am sure you can buy the pieces individually and the tool that presses the fitting into the tubing.

The NAPA kit works great! its about 25$ for 2 2' lines with quick disconnects on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master slacker View Post
But what is the "Napa kit"? That's what I don't understand. Is it the piece I have in the first post?
what you showed was the one line patch kit. as long as you don't need the quick disconnects you can use that. OR if you have some fuel lines laying around you can just buy the 2 gold 'barbs' or whatever you'd like to call them at the end and make 'em yourself. Just put the end of the lines in hot water for them to expand, insert the gold connector and repeat. as long as you have the 2 gold connectors at the end and a piece of line you can do it.
I had to buy the kit because my fuel filter broke off at both end of the quick disconnect which is why i paid 25$...hope it helped
'81 Chevy Stepside Pickup, (project) 350/350 Combo with 4:11's in rear
'89 Kawasaki EX500 (ninja)-I had to buy a fuel efficient vehicle 50mpg
'Cordelia'
tuner pro RT, 52mm TB, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Flowmaster 40's and PAINT! I love to paint
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Master slacker

So the Napa kit has quick disconnects, which I don't need. Gotcha. Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Master slacker

Just a follow-up to this repair. I got the repair hose from NAPA that is pictured in my first post and installed it. Pushing the brass connectors into the existing hose was a pain and took some time to completely seat it. After a few miles of driving, no leaks are present.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:23 PM

9c1 lover is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=263245

this will also work with fuel lines.

SOON TO BE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.