Double roller vs. stock replacement timing chain - Page 2 - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM

mess21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mess21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bolt-On Terror View Post
Jerry, I'd stick with stock or Cloyes (Cloyes made the factory timing sets for all the LT1/LT4 engines).
Offhand, I can only remember the p/n for the ED single roller set without WP drive provision. It's the one I'm running: Cloyes 3157. I have some other Cloyes part numbers for both stock-type replacement set, and for an oversize crank sprocket that tightens up the stock chain. I'll post them tomorrow.
A benefit of using the Cloyes part numbers instead of the GM part numbers is that you'll get a tighter fitting timing set. Cloyes made the GM parts with additional slack per the General's requirement to facilitate assembly line operations.
There's no reason to run a double roller. The ED single roller is just as strong, per Cloyes, and they sell them both for our application.
If you really want a double roller just to say you run a double roller, that's Cloyes 3145
The 3145 sometimes requires minimal grinding on the front of the block for clearance. The 3157 does not.
I'm in need of a new timing set for my new 383. I had a low mile gmpp timing set but do to a faliure the crank pully is messed up. Since I can't find just a crank pulley I need a new set. I looked up the cloyes 3157 and summit dosen't show it for a LTx motor, they only show this cloyes set CLO-9-3651X3 and is more then twice the price!! whats the difference?? I run a electric WP if that matters and the car is a 96. I'm a little confused.
RAISS, 503cam, lt4 heads/intake, 1.6rr's, 52mm tb, tri-y's , pypesX, spintechs, Meziere HD, BH OBD1 tune, CPTlevel3.5, 3600 edge, 3.73\'s, vogtlands, bilsteins, PPM front end, earls 5 line kit, 10%underdrive HB, umi U/L RCAs,f-body MAF, racetronix kit, 30lbsvo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM

The Bolt-On Terror is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mess21 View Post
I'm in need of a new timing set for my new 383. I had a low mile gmpp timing set but do to a faliure the crank pully is messed up. Since I can't find just a crank pulley I need a new set. I looked up the cloyes 3157 and summit dosen't show it for a LTx motor, they only show this cloyes set CLO-9-3651X3 and is more then twice the price!! whats the difference?? I run a electric WP if that matters and the car is a 96. I'm a little confused.
Which GM timing set do you have? If it's the standard LT1 setup, then the Cloyes p/n for the crank sprocket is S505.
If it's the GM Extreme Duty LT4 set, call Cloyes at 479-963-2105, and I bet they can point you to the right part for that crank sprocket too.
You're right, Summit will not list the 3157 as applicable to the LTx because it has no WP drive provisions. Since you're running an electric WP, you can use the 3157 set.
2012 ISSCA SSuperPro Champion
2013 ISSCA SSuperNatural Champion
2013 ISSCA Roadrace Runner-up
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM

mess21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mess21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bolt-On Terror View Post
Which GM timing set do you have? If it's the standard LT1 setup, then the Cloyes p/n for the crank sprocket is S505.
If it's the GM Extreme Duty LT4 set, call Cloyes at 479-963-2105, and I bet they can point you to the right part for that crank sprocket too.
You're right, Summit will not list the 3157 as applicable to the LTx because it has no WP drive provisions. Since you're running an electric WP, you can use the 3157 set.
Yea I was running the GM extreme Duty LT4 set. Thanks for the info and fast reply!! I'm def gonna give Cloyes a call and see if I can get just the crank sproket for my set. I went with the LT4 set last time case it was highly recommended. If I have to buy another one I don't wanna cheap out but the GM extreme LT4 costs almost 3 times as much as the 3157!!
RAISS, 503cam, lt4 heads/intake, 1.6rr's, 52mm tb, tri-y's , pypesX, spintechs, Meziere HD, BH OBD1 tune, CPTlevel3.5, 3600 edge, 3.73\'s, vogtlands, bilsteins, PPM front end, earls 5 line kit, 10%underdrive HB, umi U/L RCAs,f-body MAF, racetronix kit, 30lbsvo...
Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 AM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI - I just bought the Cloyes C-3039 to replace my stocker while I had the Pan and cover off. What I found was just to remove the Cam sprocket and Chain, I still had to pull the crank gear. The pin on the cam comes out so far, there was not enough slack in the chain to have it clear the cam pin. Also had the same issue installing.

I took some pics of the install and will post up a thread on this when I get some time.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM

angelo can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to angelo Send a message via Skype™ to angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatman74 View Post
Do something different and run gear drive, then slap a supercharged emblem on the trunk and call it day...

oh, btw, YES gear drive can be run on a EFI engine with out problems(knock sensor.) I have it on my 89 K5 Blazer. Middle of summer in Arizona, AC on FULL, running the crap 87 octane. 169k mi. Well atleast for me, anyways...
Sorry to Hi-jack Jerry....

So there is a brand & part # for Gear Drive for our LT1's if we wanna ditch the
timing chain and sprockets ???? Never new anyone made those parts....

-ALF out..
ECIRS #427 ISSCA #01978
96 WX3 DGGM Bone Stock except Bilstein 0929/1104 odom fade mod, FB & HP delete, lower bushing mod,Stealth Brake Bolt mod,9C1 air dams,160 stat,TB-Bypass,Hi-Miler Hoses,Taylor wires,SStudio TB Boot & K&N,Bonnies,Pypes-X,Spintech Super Pro Streets

http://www.vimeo.com/1191344 CLICK ME !!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2386222/1
Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Blue Wail is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Blue Wail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
What I found was just to remove the Cam sprocket and Chain, I still had to pull the crank gear. The pin on the cam comes out so far, there was not enough slack in the chain to have it clear the cam pin. Also had the same issue installing.
If you rotate the cam sprocket until the dowel pin is on the top, then unbolt the sprocket, the sprocket will come off. OR you can unbolt the sprocket, rotate the crank and the sprocket will slip off. This can all be done ifall the rocker arms are removed or loose.

-Nab
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wail View Post
If you rotate the cam sprocket until the dowel pin is on the top, then unbolt the sprocket, the sprocket will come off. OR you can unbolt the sprocket, rotate the crank and the sprocket will slip off. This can all be done ifall the rocker arms are removed or loose.

-Nab
yeah, I had the dowel at the 3:00 (#1 TDC) position when I started or 9:00 (#6 TDC) for Pan removal. Would have never thought to move it but didn't want to disturb the engine too much. Sure sounds like a simple fix, wish I knew that before. Pain trying to pull the lower sprocket with the chain still attached.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.