Rear main seal replacement advice - Page 3 - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 PM

BALLSS is on a distinguished road

"X" pipe exhaust, for me, does not interfere with droping the tranny

Pogo posted a link to the "tool" to use for RMS ( one in my link died) although as mentioned the rear seal often does come with a olastic sleeve to help slide it over crank. Using the Teflon seal, which does install DRY, will go on better if using the plastic sleeve or the "kent Moore" exploding wallet tool. Then just use a wood block to cover and tap in or gently tap in in circle steps using a mallet

I will note before replaceing the RMS, REALLY confirm it is in fact leaking. It is way more common for rear intake gasket, oil filter adapter to leak before RMS. The oil migrates down from the leak source and "appears" to be coming from RMS. IIRC on the TC cover there is a slot to look up and see...been 7 years since I had an automatic :-)
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM

Lynwood is on a distinguished road

reading more and more im starting to think if it really is the rear seal that is leaking. where is the rear seal exactly located? I noticed my leak is comming from the front of the crank. i removed water pump, opti and balancer. water pump and opti seals were replaced. i did not see a trail comming from the front crank seal. maybe if I post how my leak began somone will have a different suggestion.
I've always had a slow leak like one drop per hour. I installed the supercharger and thats when my leak began to drip constantly. I would leave a trail of oil as i drove. im thinking that since i already had a slow leak, by adding the extra belt, that made one of the seals loose and caused a constant leak. constant leak only happens when i turn the car and noticed that its comming from where the red circle is located and drips all the way down to where the tow hooks are. can it still be the rear seal?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 AM

GradybabyJ is on a distinguished road

if its not the front crank seal it could be the timing cover.
96 BBB SS 166k Borla exhaust - RAISS Ram Air . I've got some gen II tri-y's from clear image but I haven't put them in yet. Should be ordering some hi-flow cats soon from Dan at clear.Yall motivate me to get my car right. I must say I haven't treated her like the lovely lady that she is.

1996 BBB SS - Still Tickin
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 750 - Stolen
1996 Ford Explorer XLT -Gone
2007 Nissan Altima - Rollin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 AM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynwood View Post
reading more and more im starting to think if it really is the rear seal that is leaking. where is the rear seal exactly located? I noticed my leak is comming from the front of the crank. i removed water pump, opti and balancer. water pump and opti seals were replaced. i did not see a trail comming from the front crank seal. maybe if I post how my leak began somone will have a different suggestion.
I've always had a slow leak like one drop per hour. I installed the supercharger and thats when my leak began to drip constantly. I would leave a trail of oil as i drove. im thinking that since i already had a slow leak, by adding the extra belt, that made one of the seals loose and caused a constant leak. constant leak only happens when i turn the car and noticed that its comming from where the red circle is located and drips all the way down to where the tow hooks are. can it still be the rear seal?

No, what is pictured is the front of the engine. What you have circled in RED is the front of the OilPan gasket. If that is where your leak is, then time for a new pan gasket.

Tow hooks? Never seen them as a factory option on a b-body before.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.