Interior Lights - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Electrical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM

fat boys ss is on a distinguished road
Default Interior Lights

Hi all!

My interior lights are not working properly. When I open the doors only the light under the dash and the lights on the door come on. The dome light, the two lights in the rear view mirror and the two rear lights on the coat hooks do not come on. But when I close the door, and the lights that ARE on, shut off then I can manually put the lights on on the rear view and the coat hooks. Can anyone help me in solving this problem? I checked for grounds, they look good. Car is a 94 B4U Caprice. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you check your fuses?

Is your vanity mirror out too? If so,there is a harness that supplies power to items you mentioned. Iirc this harness, runs up the driver side B Pillar. Pull the 2 pillar covers off and check for voltage there, damage to the harness, etc.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM

SSTUNNER96

I have the same exact problem and can not find the cause. when I shift the car in when I shift the car in reverse the lights go ou pleasplease help
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
Did you check your fuses?

Is your vanity mirror out too? If so,there is a harness that supplies power to items you mentioned. Iirc this harness, runs up the driver side B Pillar. Pull the 2 pillar covers off and check for voltage there, damage to the harness, etc.

thanks a lot will look at the fuses
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 PM

SSTUNNER96

I've been researching some old posts and I will be checking the green box(chimes) and interior relay under the drivers side dashboard just above the brake pedal.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Zebrafive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat boys ss View Post
Hi all!

My interior lights are not working properly. When I open the doors only the light under the dash and the lights on the door come on. The dome light, the two lights in the rear view mirror and the two rear lights on the coat hooks do not come on. But when I close the door, and the lights that ARE on, shut off then I can manually put the lights on on the rear view and the coat hooks. Can anyone help me in solving this problem? I checked for grounds, they look good. Car is a 94 B4U Caprice. Any help would be much appreciated.
Since your door and dash lights work the interior lamp relay is OK.
Since you can manually turn on the mirror and rear lights they have power and the fuses are OK.

Some place from the lights not working and the interior lamp relay there is a break/bad connection in the dark blue/white wire. Since all the lights you mentioned are not working the break/bad connection must be after they splice into one wire. I would check starting where that wire goes down the B pillar to the relay.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 PM

SSTUNNER96

I found the problem on my 96 impala, I had a bad harness on the right side rear under the carpet inside the stock black wire loom that runs along the floor. I rewired and walah! everything works correctly now and i believe it was the blue/white wire that had a bad connection.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
Since your door and dash lights work the interior lamp relay is OK.
Since you can manually turn on the mirror and rear lights they have power and the fuses are OK.

Some place from the lights not working and the interior lamp relay there is a break/bad connection in the dark blue/white wire. Since all the lights you mentioned are not working the break/bad connection must be after they splice into one wire. I would check starting where that wire goes down the B pillar to the relay.
Got it it was the blue/white wire the had the break in it by the connecto right at the the bottom of the B pillar .the connecto was all f**ked up so i cut it out and soldered the wires together and it worked lol

thank you all for the help happy holidays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.