Need Help in Tampa - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91 thru 96 B-body Model Specific > Caprice
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-29-2012, 03:00 PM

SoberSport is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help in Tampa

Hello all!
My car, 1996 Impala SS, isn't running right and I just don't have the tools, room, or patience to trouble shoot the problem myself. I've done a search for "rough idle" and discovered that it could be anything from a vacuum leak to fuel delivery to exhaust to ignition. I really hope that it isn't the opti. I went through that whole process on my '96 Z28 years ago.
I was driving the other day when all of a sudden I noticed a rough idle at a stop light. As I accelerated and got between 1000 and 1500 rpms, the car would slightly surge and drop back surge drop back etc. Far from running smooth. I can't "feel" any loss of power and when I really put my foot into it the problem isn't noticeable.
I changed the fuel filter, hoping that I would get lucky. While the old fuel filter didn't flow as well as the new one, this did not fix or even improve the problem. So, I took it to a "trusted" shop. They checked the exhaust and ran seafoam through the car. Still, no improvements. They said a lot of condensation/water came out the tail pipes indicating that I may have gotten bad gas that was high in ethanol. I was told to run the gas through before filling the tank and hopefully that would solve my problem.
Now when I first start the car up for the day, when it is cold, it runs fine. Within a couple minutes, the idle gets rougher.
That's what the car is doing. What I really need is someone who is very familiar with the car and or the LT1 in the Tampa Bay area that can help me figure out and fix the problem. I'll pay you, of course. Or, is there a shop in the area that knows our cars. The shop I went to does not. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. This is the only car I own so I need it to run right.
Thanks in advance for your help and replies!

Dave
1996 Impala SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

DougDePew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberSport View Post
Hello all!
My car, 1996 Impala SS, isn't running right and I just don't have the tools, room, or patience to trouble shoot the problem myself. I've done a search for "rough idle" and discovered that it could be anything from a vacuum leak to fuel delivery to exhaust to ignition. I really hope that it isn't the opti. I went through that whole process on my '96 Z28 years ago.
I was driving the other day when all of a sudden I noticed a rough idle at a stop light. As I accelerated and got between 1000 and 1500 rpms, the car would slightly surge and drop back surge drop back etc. Far from running smooth. I can't "feel" any loss of power and when I really put my foot into it the problem isn't noticeable.
I changed the fuel filter, hoping that I would get lucky. While the old fuel filter didn't flow as well as the new one, this did not fix or even improve the problem. So, I took it to a "trusted" shop. They checked the exhaust and ran seafoam through the car. Still, no improvements. They said a lot of condensation/water came out the tail pipes indicating that I may have gotten bad gas that was high in ethanol. I was told to run the gas through before filling the tank and hopefully that would solve my problem.
Now when I first start the car up for the day, when it is cold, it runs fine. Within a couple minutes, the idle gets rougher.
That's what the car is doing. What I really need is someone who is very familiar with the car and or the LT1 in the Tampa Bay area that can help me figure out and fix the problem. I'll pay you, of course. Or, is there a shop in the area that knows our cars. The shop I went to does not. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. This is the only car I own so I need it to run right.
Thanks in advance for your help and replies!

Dave
1996 Impala SS
Quick check for vacuum leaks - get a can of carb cleaner - with car running, spray it around the vacuum hoses and manifold - RPM's will climb when you hit a leak.

I could listen to it if we could coordinate it with a day I'm in Tampa. I know I'm there on Wednesday of this coming week.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Thanks Doug! I picked up some carb cleaner and will try that trick tomorrow. I would definitely take you up on your offer to take a listen when you are in the Tampa area later this week should I not find the problem before then.

Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

A cheap item to check is the PCV valve. If it is no working, they are only about $3. When they are not functioning, they cause similar problems to yous.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM

I was unsuccessful in finding a vacuum leak. However, there is one thing that I left out by mistake. In this picture you will see a cork in the end of one of the hoses coming out of the AIR pump. This hose was attached to nothing so I put a cork in it. This didn't seem to change the way the engine ran at all so I left it there. Could this be part of my problem? The hose that went to nowhere?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.I.R. Pump Cork.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	27148  
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM

96SSbbb is an unknown quantity at this point

That hose goes to the air box, its for the air pump.

ISSCA# 930
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road

Hose pictured (w/cork) is the air inlet to the AIR pump,and should be going to a nipple on the air-box. If that nipple is "open",that's not the way it is supposed to be. Personally,I deleted the AIR pump along with many others.These are not good cars to "throw parts at" there are just too many possibilities. O2 sensors,EGR valve can cause driveability issues also.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Banned

DougDePew is on a distinguished road

Not sure where in Tampa you're at. Tomorrow morning I'll be in the Gibsonton/Brandon/Seffner area.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone. And thanks 1slow96. I understand that throwing part at it is a shot in a dark. Thing is, I don't know anyone in Florida that knows LT1s. I'm hoping to connect with someone eventually because I simply don't have the patience, knowledge, or tools to figure this out on my own. Friends of mine have their trusted mechanics the know how to fix "anything" till they open the hood. I experienced this with my '96 back in the day years ago. Fortunately, I found a guy, but that was in the state of Washington. Now, I need a guy in Florida. Thanks again!
Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 PM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road

When I find myself out of ideas. I go to my local Chevrolet dealer,and they very seldom disappoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.