Progressive snapshot - Page 2 - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > General Topics > Misc.
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 PM

95ImpalaSS21 is on a distinguished road

Yea I just think that it's BS. They need to let us be, we already pay enough for insurance... But I'm glad my 95 can't have that
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 AM

96SSbbb is an unknown quantity at this point

I've read quite a few pages about "snapshot" and find nothing that says theres GPS data collected. In fact everything I read says theres no GPS data collected.

http://www.progressive.com/auto/snap...statement.aspx

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...e-in-your-car/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage-based_insurance

Personaly I hate big brother riding with me. I once got a FSM and a pair of wire cutters and went to town with an onstar system in a brand new truck. I wouldnt opt for the snapshot thing no more than most here. But I would like to know where the OP got his info that GPS data is collected.

ISSCA# 930
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 AM

ScottLC is on a distinguished road

I'm curious about the comment regarding GPS on "all" vehicles. Who, if anyone, has heard or read anything about how they might try to push such a thing on OBD1 and older cars? I've followed this generally ever since EPA trotted out the idea of banning all "older cars" back around '98 or so(it went no where and was just a memo proposal but they still said it). I mean, really, there is just no way to wire in a GPS to a carbed car or truck that can't be defeated. I'm not sure about OBD1 but I'd bet it's not possible to tie in any device like this at all.

Short of banning such vehicles (bans, hmm, imagine that) the only enforcement I could see is the random traffic ticket. If the cops could figure out you had the damn thing shut down. Since there's exactly one OBD2 in my fleet of beaters and will likely never be more than that it would be easy for me to report whatever I wanted...in theory.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Heavy_SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi9c1 View Post
Progressive is not a good insurance company and should be avoided. The "snapshot" scam is just another example of their mentality.
I always knew Flo was a ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
Yolo!

Eric
'96 BBB-WX3 w/52k
Cam, heads, gears, exhaust!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
ISSF Honey Badger

Big Kahuna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Big Kahuna

Scott LC if they can figure out a way to know if you have a radar detector in your car I'm sure they will somehow come up with a way to determine if you have a device operating (or not operating) in your vehicle.

But don't worry, if they can't take away our guns, they sure as hell will never get a law passed that allows them to monitor our movement...or will they?

PS - F FLO THAT C-BOMB!

-----
* BEST of ISSCA 2005 & 2013 * ECIRS CHAMP 2004, 2006, 2012, 2014 * ISSCA Spirit of Chino Award 2012 * SSHS '10 Class A Champ
* 17 ECIRS (East Coast Impala Racing Series) event wins * Bunch of other stuff blah blah* www.ecirs.net - come race with us!
-94 BBB: big block RamJet 502 - partially tuned work in progress - runs 12's so far...way more to come! SOLD 2014!
-95 BBB: The one and only Flambe - Area 51 396 - now with AI swag! 4625 lbs of fun - Original Owner 2-21-95 - HOLY SH1T - 146K miles
........12.25 at 111 NA / 11.72 at 115 baby shot
-96 BBB: Clean, perfect, 38K miles - SOLD 2008 - wrecked by Cracka
-96 BBB: Area 51 Supercharged Best of ISSCA winner - 31K miles - SOLD 2006 - wrecked by Shane

- Cracka: "BK at a sushi restaurant....more devastating to the ocean than a BP oil spill...."
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM

AllenIDOXLR8
Default Gps

The devices plug into the OBDII port so they can monitor anything the PCM will output. Think Datamaster. I wonder if they would even work on our cars since GM has moved on to different buss and our 1996 PCM's were only around for about two years.

That said Insurance companies are mostly concerned with two parameters. One, how many miles you drive. Less miles driven equals less risk for them. Two, how fast you drive. Hard to track that in city driving as the speed limits change often. On my way to work one section of road has a 50 mph limit going west and a 45 mph limit going east. Go figure.

The device is essentially a bribe. We have a company that will forgive an accident or ticket if you install the device to monitor your driving. The difference in cost can be $ 300 to $ 400 dollars a year. Of course if you continue to drive agressively they will tack on the surcharge and you are
back to high rates.
96BBB,ERE-383 #7 AI Heads & Cam,TKO-600, C-6 Brakes-Tuned by TAD
96 Caprice B4U Mostly stock
08 ImpalaSS (sold)
09 Caddy CTS 3.6
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Signature Section Moderator & CrossFire Club Ambassador of Kwan

Cracka Ass Crackuh is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't buy into the big brother hype. Its a way for them to charge you more, not save you money.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 AM

wytltng is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Scott LC if they can figure out a way to know if you have a radar detector in your car I'm sure they will somehow come up with a way to determine if you have a device operating (or not operating) in your vehicle.

But don't worry, if they can't take away our guns, they sure as hell will never get a law passed that allows them to monitor our movement...or will they?

PS - F FLO THAT C-BOMB!

They do make radar dectectors that are not-detectable. I have 3 & it is all I run.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM
ISSF Honey Badger

Big Kahuna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Big Kahuna

THREE?

What the hell are you trying to detect? lol
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM

wytltng is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THREE?

What the hell are you trying to detect? lol

Got one in the TB, one in my truck. It works nice when going to Canada like this past weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.