my 86 Caddy FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread - Page 2 - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91 thru 96 B-body Model Specific > Complete Car Builds
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM

cadillac kevin is on a distinguished road

finally got my exhaust on and got the car back home. It only took me, my dad, and a mechanic 1.5 hours to do so (about 1/3 of that was planning out how to run it so the x pipe was in the proper spot....which proved to be a PITA.) I still have to hang the tips from brackets, as they're just dangling.

I then drove it home. It had a severe miss at idle, was down on power (but still had more than the 307 in good tune LOL) and smelled like soot. Got it home and took a look. One of the boots fell off the plug wire and a couple others got melted by the headers. Also, one of the valve covers has a slight leak that is dripping on 2 of the header pipes ( the covers are POS $20 ones that came with the motor and started leaking after the engine warmed up....I'm betting they're warped/ racked). To top off my trip home, the "no charge" light came on as I was backing in my driveway. At least it is home and everything is pretty easily fixed.

I also cut down my console 2" and test fit it. It fits quite well. (also, not sure why, but the color and finish don't show up right on camera)
previous vehicles
1987 chevy silverado "the beast" 115k motor donor.
1991 olds cutlass cruiser wagon. 180k. 3300 with high flow injectors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM

found my oil leak

also picked up some stuff at the junkyard
90 grille (in great shape with nice chrome)

sunpro column tach and some new 80s driving lights

I'm also getting a set of these in the next 2 weeks or so. They're 15x7 buick turbine rims from a wagon. I'll be refinishing them (not in bad shape for the age though- this is the worst one)
previous vehicles
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM

viperrgh2 is on a distinguished road

looks great, huge fan of the wood center console
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperrgh2 View Post
looks great, huge fan of the wood center console
thanks. IMO, its my favorite part of the car (well, besides the engine )

haven't updated this thread in a while....figure it is time
I got my rims in the mail. I want to paint the grey parts firemist brown to match the roof.
got the rims (can't find the pic of the other 2 right now). I plan on getting corvette center caps and putting caddy emblems on them

Also picked up some audio goodies from the local craigslist. The guy had owned this equipment since new and didnt have a use for it anymore. Got a pretty good deal on it all. Some of this will end up in my caddy, and some will be sold off to a buddy of mine for his truck.

previous vehicles
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 PM

Prepped my fillers before getting sent out for paint

Got my fillers back from the body shop yesterday. Cost me $80 to get them painted. I'll be hanging them as soon as it gets warmer out.

also got my radio back together.
the LED behind the display went out though I guess I'll have to replace that
previous vehicles
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM

working on my front plate for the console....after I make the toggle switch panel, I can install it
previous vehicles
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Michaelwinne is on a distinguished road

Sweet caddy man!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 PM

Did some work on it last week
wire wheeled and primed 3 of my 4 doors. the drivers door was getting crusty again. I used a wire wheel on a drill for most of it, then a dremel with a small wire wheel for getting right up against the seam at the bottom where the door skin folds over the frame.

still got some more random rust to tackle

My body guy is seeing if he had any paint left over from my fillers so I can paint over the primer....if not, I'll get a fairly close color in a spray can and spray can it

----------

also, anyone got any tips for removing the door edge guard trim and door handle (theres some rust creeping out from behind the passengers front door handle)
previous vehicles
Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 PM

got one of the carpeted side panels for the trunk done

also worked on the console

I have since cut in the other toggle switch (these are for the seat lumbar)

got the other switch cut in for the lumbar (ignore the print on them....I have no power sofa bed in my caddy)

decided to change out my fan shroud and fan for the proper 350 shroud

need to make some aluminum L shaped plates for the top so I can bolt it in (not moving until then)

got the ends on my 0 gauge

new radio....found a harness for it. it's a pioneer double DIN with a CD, tape deck, 13 band eq, and a bunch of other cool features

also buffed out my cornering lights (not perfect, but better than yellowed plastic)

previous vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.