Did I just blow a head gasket? - Page 2 - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 PM

ocala is on a distinguished road
Default Found it, Google is my friend...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocala View Post
What is an ATK engine? Thanks

I check it out, thanks
95 DGGM 396 Stroker, Eagle crank & rods, LT4 heads, LT4 intake, LT4 hot cam, Finish Line long tube headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, Big Baer brakes, 3.73 rear, Hotchkis lowering springs, Front and rear Hotchkis Sway bars, aluminum driveshaft, Metco aluminum boxed trailing arms, K&N, Gary's Cables, 42# Green Giants, T84's,T56 Magnum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Location: South Central Texas....By Way of the South Side of Chicago!!!!!
KW Baraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
i blew one last year driving and didnt know it......
Yep. That was me, too .

Quote:
......after it shut dont (sp)......it was towed home and started right up......
Mine would start up after 20-30 minutes.

Quote:
......we took out a plug and watched the stuff pour out..soup everywhere..not fun.......
THAT'S when we realized it'd blown a gasket. Good thing I had a spare engine 10 feet away .

Quote:
.......also cooked all the oil and heard a noise on the lower end of the motor so decided on a rebuild......
My engine still ran fine (meaning, no apparent damage) but I rebuilt anyway. Got a real good 383ci shortblock for sale now .

KW
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM

95Chwagon is on a distinguished road

My first major auto repair was replacing a head gasket on a 89 ford thunderturd 6 months after I turned 16 (I've been beating on cars since day1 ). Didn't end up costing more than fluids, a head gasket and a some tools I didn't have yet.

If it didn't overheat the head may still be square and you'd be fine. It all depends how long you drove it like that.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Chwagon View Post
......If it didn't overheat the head may still be square and you'd be fine. It all depends how long you drove it like that.
Be more concerned of coolent washing down into the oil pan and getting pumped onto you bearings.

Yep....coolent ruins bearings.

KW
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Default Did I just blow a head gasket?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm able to replace the head gaskets myself, but I don't want to do that and have my bearings go out next.

I didn't run the engine hot, but the gasket surely went out for a reason.

The oil is dark, and a little thicker than it should be. I use Mobil One and I'm not sure how it reacts with coolant, but I think I have more than oil here.

I don't really have the expertise to evaluate the engine if I pull it apart to decide what I need to replace, or service.

I appreciate your thought regarding the short block KW, but then I'd still have an engine that I'd either have to repair or give away. Plus I'd still have to determine if my heads and stuff were ok.

Anyway, I called Karl Ellwein today and we're going to get moving on ERE41!

Pulling the engine will be a new one to me, but at least I know Karl will get it right.

I think I might want to upgrade the heads while I'm at it. I'm going to post a WTB on that one, but if anyone has anything interesting please let me know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
95 DGGM 396 Stroker, Eagle crank & rods, LT4 heads, LT4 intake, LT4 hot cam, Finish Line long tube headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, Big Baer brakes, 3.73 rear, Hotchkis lowering springs, Front and rear Hotchkis Sway bars, aluminum driveshaft, Metco aluminum boxed trailing arms, K&N, Gary's Cables, 42# Green Giants, T84's,T56 Magnum
Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
......I appreciate your thought regarding the short block KW, but then I'd still have an engine that I'd either have to repair or give away. Plus I'd still have to determine if my heads and stuff were ok.

Anyway, I called Karl Ellwein today and we're going to get moving on ERE41!......
Cool.....I suppose ERE-41 will be a good deal for ya and that Karl will take good care of ya !

Still, the engine I'm selling is ERE-3.......so if ya know anyone who needs a good engine......push them my way !

KW

1995 DCM SS, 355ci

Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM

luckydriver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What is an ATK engine? Thanks
http://www.atkvege.com/content/

i only choose them because the parts place down the street from me used them a long time with little to no issues...said the warranty work was never an issue even with DIY installs

i go to them for most of my parts and after this purchase they definitley know my name! comes in handy sometimes as they give me little breaks here or there.

$2300 and i'm over 12000 on the engine since august and no issues so i have to recommend them
2014 Impala LTZ; Sold and miss my 95 DCM 262K thanks to all who helped me over the years!; 87 caprice became my snow car in 2000 and it was laid to "rust" in 10/07 with 338K. Rebuilt trans at 308,000 (lasted pretty long I think); new radiator 330,000 (they said it literally disintegrated when they took it off)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 PM

Default Did I just blow a head gasket?

Thanks for the info - looks like a good company.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.