official rough idle/surge/misfire - Page 14 - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM

Timpala

Wow, you might have just diagnosed my problem.
I also replaced my fuel pump with a device that looked correct. I've had weird problems on the the highway with the engine running very warm even though I'm on a electric water pump.

If my fuel level is low and I take a hard turn it acts like it's fuel starving and will almost quit. But doesn't do that with a full tank.

Looks like I'll be picking up a fuel pressure gauge today. Thanks!

\'96 BBB, RBT, Flowmaster AT Cat-Back, Limo Tint, K&N FIPK, Black Carpet & Mats, Corvette Engine Trim, Colgon Bra, Meziere Pump, Transgo HD Shift Kit, Body Bushings, Racetronix/Walbro Fuel Pump and wiring kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 PM

ajharman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpala View Post
Wow, you might have just diagnosed my problem.
I also replaced my fuel pump with a device that looked correct. I've had weird problems on the the highway with the engine running very warm even though I'm on a electric water pump.

If my fuel level is low and I take a hard turn it acts like it's fuel starving and will almost quit. But doesn't do that with a full tank.

Looks like I'll be picking up a fuel pressure gauge today. Thanks!
Hope you get it figured out man. I know how frustrating trying to track it down is. I'm definitely glad I bought the pressure tester. Advance doesn't rent them, and I'm sure it will come in handy a couple more times in the future.

I bought this one for $33 on Amazon:

Actron CP7818 Fuel Pressure Tester Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Actron CP7818 Fuel Pressure Tester Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

It's made by Actron and is the cheapest one I could find that looked decent. It suits my needs fine as just a simple unit, has worked well so far and has the pressure release hose so you can catch fuel in a container when disconnecting it. It includes threads for both GM and Ford fuel rails. They sell a model with TBI and import adapters too for like $10 bucks more, I just didn't think I'd need all that.

-1994 Roadmaster Wagon
, White, LT-1, Mild PCM Tune, Wood Delete, Home-Plate Delete, PVC Intake w/ K&N Filter, Moog 7268 and CC625 Springs, Hotchkis Sway Bars F&R, Tubular Rear Control Arms, Flowmaster 40's, SS Wheels, 160 Powerstat, All-Aluminum Radiator.

-1994 Camaro z28 - Stock LT1, t56 6-speed Manual, Intake, MSD Coil/Wires, New project, Needs some love

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/...aster%20Wagon/
Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Timpala

O'Reilly in town had a gauge that I could use for a few minutes. Sure as heck, 10lbs of pressure. Must be running lean as can be as it's hotter than normal all the time. Now what are all the cool kids running for replacement fuel pumps?

\'96 BBB, RBT, Flowmaster AT Cat-Back, Limo Tint, K&N FIPK, Black Carpet & Mats, Corvette Engine Trim, Colgon Bra, Meziere Pump, Transgo HD Shift Kit, Body Bushings, Racetronix/Walbro Fuel Pump and wiring kit
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpala View Post
O'Reilly in town had a gauge that I could use for a few minutes. Sure as heck, 10lbs of pressure. Must be running lean as can be as it's hotter than normal all the time. Now what are all the cool kids running for replacement fuel pumps?
I'm not sure what mods you have or what your fuel demand is, but if all you need is a stock spec OEM pump, the Delphi FE0114 is a good option. That's the one I just dropped in mine a month ago and its doing fine. Rockauto carries it for pretty cheap ($60-70), I got mine through a local NAPA though so it was more expensive.

-1994 Roadmaster Wagon
, White, LT-1, Mild PCM Tune, Wood Delete, Home-Plate Delete, PVC Intake w/ K&N Filter, Moog 7268 and CC625 Springs, Hotchkis Sway Bars F&R, Tubular Rear Control Arms, Flowmaster 40's, SS Wheels, 160 Powerstat, All-Aluminum Radiator.

-1994 Camaro z28 - Stock LT1, t56 6-speed Manual, Intake, MSD Coil/Wires, New project, Needs some love

Old 12-18-2012, 10:17 PM

GradybabyJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPIMPIN CUSTOMS I.N.C. View Post
for those that do not know, the spark plug wires ALL have to click twice into the opti or they are not seated properly
im ashamed to say i didn't know that but i've never left it loose though.
96 BBB SS 166k Borla exhaust - RAISS Ram Air . I've got some gen II tri-y's from clear image but I haven't put them in yet. Should be ordering some hi-flow cats soon from Dan at clear.Yall motivate me to get my car right. I must say I haven't treated her like the lovely lady that she is.

1996 BBB SS - Still Tickin
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 750 - Stolen
1996 Ford Explorer XLT -Gone
2007 Nissan Altima - Rollin
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM

GregC is on a distinguished road

Mine had that hesitation when accelerating from a stop, then it would also feel like it was going to die like it was running out of gas when cruising. I replaced the ICM, which fixed the hesitation and the running out of gas like symptom. But it left me stranded again and the car wouldn't start. I waited 5 minutes and the car started. I just replaced the coil, so hopefully that fixed the problem. But I'm betting it's the Opti that needs replacement. The previous owner had used parts that were low budget non oem.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 PM

chevyrida79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
Mine had that hesitation when accelerating from a stop, then it would also feel like it was going to die like it was running out of gas when cruising. I replaced the ICM, which fixed the hesitation and the running out of gas like symptom. But it left me stranded again and the car wouldn't start. I waited 5 minutes and the car started. I just replaced the coil, so hopefully that fixed the problem. But I'm betting it's the Opti that needs replacement. The previous owner had used parts that were low budget non oem.
Can you please help me out and explain what the ICM is please. Im having the exact same problem and I dont want to assume anything.
Nevermind I got it!!lol

Last edited by chevyrida79; 01-25-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM

GregC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrida79 View Post
Can you please help me out and explain what the ICM is please. Im having the exact same problem and I dont want to assume anything.
The ICM is the ignition control module, but if you are going to replace the ICM, you might as well replace the coil too since they are co-located. The ICM and coil are located in front of the driver's side head. It is the module on top. The one below it is the coil. To access it without busting your knuckles, remove the home base plate and get the air intake house out of the way. Then you'll have to unplug the connectors on the ICM and Coil and coil wire. Undo the 2 bolts holding the bracket that holds both modules and pull out both modules. You'll have to use a very small socket to remove the ICM and the Coil from the bracket. Reinstall in reverse order. Make sure you buy AC/Delco or Delphi or you might be replacing it again. So far so good. No problems after 3 weeks. The next thing I'll replace is the Opti before it goes bad.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrida79 View Post
Nevermind I got it!!lol

Ignition control module. Mounted above the coil by those aluminum fins.

http://shbox.com/1/coil_loc.jpg

-1994 Roadmaster Wagon

Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 PM

chevyrida79 is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot!!! My 94 SS just started this misfire/stumble behavior under light throttle and under heady WOT it acts like its running on 7 cylinders. Its pissing me off!!!! No CEL no codes??? Just started right after letting my friend take his wife out in it....smh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.