Would a 95/95 caprice make a good daily driver? - Page 2 - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91 thru 96 B-body Model Specific > Caprice
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM

minimalist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotYellow View Post
IF you can afford the gas on these gas guzzlers..

GO FOR IT
I'll take the mileage penalty over the cramped and very difficult to work on front wheel drive alternatives. I even admire the dodge dart with a slant 6 for it's utter simplicity.

My 96 4.3 caprice was bought 7.5 years ago and has been a daily driver off an on since. I sold my WRX wagon years ago and the caprice became the go to car. Loved the WRX but the insurance went up drastically. That pissed me off so I sold it ($100/month wrx, $13/month caprice). I have a 99 3/4 ton suburban for hauling and a 86 M1009 cucv for fun or icy/snowy days. The sub eats fuel at the tune of 11mpg and the cucv has no a/c and marginal heat. It's really a 2 season car unless you like being inside of an icebox or microwave the other parts of the year.

In the time I've owned it, repairs and maintenance have been around 2.4K and the purchase price was $6995. It had 14K on it when I bought it and now has 131K. I've done all my own work other than the dealer to diagnose a miss that I couldn't find. Been through 2 water pumps and 2 opti's with the first replacement at 102K and the second at 120K. Crap parts are a real problem so I'd stick to delco or other reputable stuff. I just rebuilt the entire front suspension (didn't really need it) but wanted to stiffen if up. I used Pro forged components and got some pro forged springs when they were being closed out.

The wife won't ride in it but my kids don't seem to mind yet as they are younger. I think it's comfortable and gets me where I need to go. Sure would like some cloth roadmaster seats in grey, maybe someday. I had a 92 roadmaster and that car was like driving while seated in your living room. Finances are not so hot right now, otherwise I'd be on the prowl for a 96 roadmaster wagon with the wood delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM

Narc 9c1 is on a distinguished road

Mine was a great daily driver....sort of. Just the normal things started to go wrong with it: Water Pump, Starter (went through three of them), Fuel Pump, Blower motor, then finally the transmission.

The great thing is that all the little things that tend to go wrong with the car can be fixed generally pretty quick and easy with the help of a few searches on this forum. The video tutorial for the water pump made my life so much better the day I had to replace it.

Since the transmission lost 3rd and 4th when I was at Bodega Bay and had to make the 100 mile trip in second gear at 40mph, I decided to make it a fun car. I still drive it almost daily but I don't commute in it.

95 9C1: Purchase Price: $1k -- AI 190cc Heads/cam, 355 Bottom End, 58mm BK TB, Intake Ported by AI, CIA Quad-1 Long Tubes w/ Export Pipes, Beefed up 4l60 w/ Yank SS3200 TC, 3:73s, Eaton Truetrac, SS Rearend, Eibach Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, PPM Front End, C3Fab 5/8 Extended Control Arms, SS Interior...
53 Studebaker Starliner: sold!
69 Grand Prix
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM

k gee has a little shameless behaviour in the past

No, I don't think a Caprice makes a good daily driver. You could do worse, but you can do a lot better.

But, if you only have $3000 to spend on a car, and it sounds like it may be $3000 including registration and other fees, than you don't have many options.

I would by no means buy a 9C1 if I did not have an extra $2k min. to drop into it within 6 months after the purchase (safety net).

www.cali-ss.com The cars unite us, the people make us come back.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM

Stratman66 is on a distinguished road

i agree with some of thispost.i bought mine for 1000$ with 89,000 miles on it.she was CLEAN.and,it set me in the seat enough that i had to have it.6 months later,i had spent another 3 grand in repairs.2 years later,shes been reliable as can be.in fact,when i bought it,it was our only family car.still is.just dont buy a car thats been sitting ,and ,think the low miles are good.mine had been sitting for a year and a half.i found out from the guy that did all the work for the prvious owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k gee View Post

But, if you only have $3000 to spend on a car, and it sounds like it may be $3000 including registration and other fees, than you don't have many options.

I would by no means buy a 9C1 if I did not have an extra $2k min. to drop into it within 6 months after the purchase (safety net).
1958 H-D FLH, where could I start....
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM

jayoldschool is on a distinguished road

I have daily driven LT1 B bodies exclusively for 15 years.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM

RMSwe is on a distinguished road

I use my Roady as a daily driver/commuting car. The other guys in my carpool loves it, they drive VW Golf, Saab 9-3 (what a piece of junk...) and Toyota Auris. They want a car with low fuel consumption, I want one that I will survive a crash with a moose or a red deer or a drunk driver...

Impala SS convertible 1964 , Sold and missed

Caprice Classic sedan 1978, Sold
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSwe View Post
I use my Roady as a daily driver/commuting car. The other guys in my carpool loves it, they drive VW Golf, Saab 9-3 (what a piece of junk...) and Toyota Auris. They want a car with low fuel consumption, I want one that I will survive a crash with a moose or a red deer or a drunk driver...
...in one of the tiny pieces of junk.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM

turbochris is an unknown quantity at this point

we have 3 of these. Mine has 270k on it. I just did the rear and steering box, the engine and trans are next but the present engine/trans seem ok. It's fairly well maintained and I would drive it anywhere. I put about 40-50k a year on it. I could afford a new car but I've put my hands on every part of this car and I know it well. It lets me know when it needs help, when I ignore the early signs I get stuck somewhere. it limps and crawls sometimes but it always gets me home.
2000 Dodge Caravan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdi8EkTGztY
Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 AM

Anchorman is on a distinguished road
Default Noob

Hi All,
I just purchased a '96, 4.3L in December, runs great, sucks fuel. Nothing like driving something with throw-weight. Like driving my parents cars from growing up in the 70's. Has a broken antenna motor, and a Camaro instrument cluster that I'm considering r&r w/ the original instrument cluster in the trunk.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM

Marky Dissod is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygotgame View Post
I want a caprice but i just need to make sure the LT1 can hold up to being driven daily/ hours long trips.

If anyone can give me some info on what i'd be dealing with i'd appreciate it.
Been daily-driving the car in my sig since 2002. 3 previous Caprices 9C1-LT1 & a Fleetwood since 1998.

1st: without the ImpalaSS Forum, the Caprice is not a good daily driver, at least for me it wouldn't be. Knowledge I've learned here has regularly corrected GM dealers, AllData, and other 'trusted' info sources.
Those three Caprices 9C1-LT1 & the Fleetwood didn't last long without the forum to help me out.

2nd: even with a bone stock vehicle, having your PCM reprogrammed
a. keeps things cooler under the bonnet, which means plastic and rubber that GM has stopped replacing, will last longer before you have to replace it
b. will help your transmission last longer between rebuilds
c. makes it more enjoyable to drive

3rd: If you need to replace the Opti-Spark, don't forget to replace the Opti-Snorkel aka the Vent & Vacuum Harness, or at least take it apart and clean out those blue things so that you can blow air thru in at least one direction.

4th: An electric waterpump costs more up front, but pays for itself by removing unreliable waterpump housing quality control and waterpump drive gear wear from the equation.

5th: check for leaks, check for leaks, check for leaks …
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.