Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Automatic trunk pull down, vs static striker.

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  The Dude 
#1 ·
I have had 2 different pull down motors break on me. The plastic base cracks bear the bolts. i was wondering if I could switch it out for a static trunk striker out of a caprice/roadmaster. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Some of the roadmasters had the pull downs, so that should not be an issue. I am not sure if the strikers can be unbolted. You may have to do a little cutting.

#3 ·
Ok, no prob. My brother has a 95 caprice, but his trunk is currently stuck shut, otherwise I would have popped his open and looked. I might just have to fab something up. I pulled off the tag light and looked around. I am pretty sure the trunk lock relocation mod people with caprices have been doing will work on the Fleetwood, so I will be trying that in the next week or so. have a lot of people coming over for New Years, so it will have to wait till after that.

PS, Thanks for all your help Fred. You are a bucket of knowledge on these cars. I really appreciate it.

#5 ·
The switch screwed up on my parents' '93 Brougham. I was able to feed power to the pull down motor until it ran all the way down, then I unplugged the system so it would not raise back up when the trunk was popped. Now it's just like having a normal striker.

#6 ·
Thats how mine was until the plastic broke, the whole assembly came apart and the trunk popped open with part of it dangling from the latch. I wired the latch back together best I could so the trunk stays shut. I dont want to buy another electric one and have it break for a third time. I found a picture of a roadmaster striker and it mounts the same, so I am going to him up some local yards to find one.

#7 ·
I've had both setups before and prefer not having the pulldown motor. I could never break the habit of slamming the trunk lid down lol. If it would close the lid on it's own without having to push it down, then it might be worth keeping, but as-is, it's just one more part to break IMO.

#9 ·
I went to my local you-pull today asked if they had any Caprices or Roadmasters, and the guy laughed and shook his head. I guess they either dont get any in there or they scrap them immediately. However I did pick up a Durango center console in perfect condition. I already cut off the center section of my seat. I am planning on fiberglassing the front portion to hold 2 gauges and 4 manual paddle valves. Cant wait to get this in. I will most likely be starting a build thread once I get this underway. I will be putting up pics of my suspension as well.

#10 ·
These Blazer consoles are good for gauges without fiberglassing.

Attachments

#12 ·
Decided to take care of the striker once and for all yesterday. I had some 5/16" all thread, 2 nylock nuts, and a scrap piece of 12 gauge steel laying around, so I spent about an hour and a half and made an adjustable height striker. My trunk now latches snug, and the way the carpet is, you cant even tell anything was done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.