Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

ipad installed?

41K views 68 replies 39 participants last post by  96 Black 
#1 ·
was thinking of installing an Ipad in the ss. Anyone done it or thinking about doing it? any ideas

#34 ·
As they come out with smaller and smaller tablet computers, I feel there may be hope yet. We shall see.

#35 ·
yoo MAJOR prop for getting the ipad to fit!! i like it without a doubt! if i could make some suggestion i would raise the ipad all the way up as possible and fill the gap on the bottom section. also if your REALLY good with trimming i would cut the whole black bezel piece off the dash and make it fold in and out so you can slide the ipad out for security reason!

#38 ·
The ipad is up as high as it can go i had to trim the clips that clip into the dash to get it that high. Im going to fill the the lil imperfections. Im going too look into that cutting the back side that sounds like a good idea. good look. Today i just taped and rerouted the AC wires to the glove box area.

i have to drill some holes into the side of the glove box to get it into the box. Just didnt feel like it today. I have finals coming up.
I appreciate the comments and help, and I most defiantly appreciate the suggestions.

#41 ·
Too Deep for the INTRO!!!

"I make the type of pieces that make Jesus say God D@mn!!!"

Looks Good Bro, and good look on the that Friday Night Lights screenshot!!! I ain't stopped listening since the 12th...

I'm going to the fiberglass shop over the next week or so to see what we can scheme up for a removable allowing enclosure myself. That way I can do the same thing in my other seasonal car(G-body Cuttie).. Anyway, the main things I am concerned with is sound quality in terms of integration into existing system.. I.e youtube and Itunes, youtube sounds pretty ****ty sometimes from my Iphone over my system and I have 2 new Pioneers (this and last year models double din) in 2 of my other cars. Any suggestions or known fixes?

#42 ·
How is that iPad installed in that pic TDubble ?
Is it controlling your whole system or how ?

I been wanting to go this route also but whats slowing me down is that what do i need exactly and what to do to make this iPad control my whole audio and system so i can play music thru it and be bumpin my 2 15s and when i see videos they can be shown on the tvs.

I been told told by some people all i need is the iPad and a Equalizer and others say that theyre also using a double din or flipout but the iPad is int there for fun.

#44 ·
I have the ipad hooked up to the Alpine deck, so i guess they are both running the the system.

second question I have no clue. Im have a EQ and all that. Im sure there is an app or something they started another ipad post. ask buddy about all the "technical" thing that i have no clue. The damn Alpine head unit isnt even suported by the ipad so i have to run a wire from the earphone jack(of the ipad to the back of the headunit. Mine is just in there just because i liked the Unit. The i pad can run its own, but i heard its not that great by its lonesome, but idk.

All in all it is dope as hell to me. My system bumps 3 12s, 4 6x9s, 2 door speakers (not sure the size). looking for 2 tweeters to have installed into my front pillars like so>>>>

Dudes set up is sick. dunno who it is

#43 · (Edited)
Damn it, now I need a Holden controller!

Junk yards in Australia, here I come!

I would be concerned with heat. Will that ipad hold up sitting in the hot car, while parked at the mall on a hot summer day?

I have installed double-din touchscreens into my friends cars, with the computer in the trunk. and they never hold up. once the screen gets hot, it get dark, then could no longer sense where your touching. It was a huge problem.

possible controller?
http://folcik.com/products.htm

I think we own the wrong kind of cars for this..
But, anything is possible.

Google shows that most people problems run into the Vacuum line that control our vents. Well, that isn't really a problem with the Buick vacuum solenoid.

The guy who made that system that copyed the Holdens, lives up near Yreka California.
Any North Cal / Oregon guys wanna drive over there and have him make us a screen that'll fit our cars?

#59 ·
Looks sick I really like how the Ipad looks like it belongs.

#46 ·
Man that looks good. Ive had that plan in my head for a while but im gonna make mine look flush and still be removable.

#49 ·
If any one care to run the same setup. During the time i posted this my ipad could not function the way i wanted it too. When ever the car was on the ipad would not play movie on the ipad. This morning while at work i found a a guy on Youtube who showed me how to free up my ipad and get it to work with out it saying hooked to a device. You have to jailbreak your Ipad with app called green poison. it is a very simple process and you have to download a app called red snow. do all that you ipad is freed up and you can run it. O yes within the red snow you have to download a app called "noaccessory" something??? i cant remember, but soon as you type in noaccesory it will pop up there will be 2 but choose the Ios one. the other is for the phone. hope this helps i know this is short but is really easy.
Greenpoison
http://greenpois0n.com/
Redsnow
http://www.tcgeeks.com/ipad-jailbreak-4-2-1-redsnow/

Note please read there stuff first MAC/PC ect
this is the one i watch did it all myself.

#50 ·
just be aware jail breaking voids warranty if apple finds out.
and check out cydia for ipad apps.
been running a iphone4 jb with green poison since the first weekend it came out :)

#53 · (Edited)
Yea it's bolted into the dash. I don't have a problem with the heat at all. I'm cautious where I park cuz it's just plain hot in Hawaii. Not to mention I have a black car. I'm looking forward to putting an accuator in there to let the piece where the iPad is at come out and I can take it in and out. The shops out here suck though. I did most of the work myself. They just did the bondo and remolding.

#56 ·
about to do this in mine but have a question. i have other tv monitors in my car. how can i or is there a part i have to get to make whatevers on my ipad showup on all my other screens in the car just like if i had a indash tv? thats my main concern because doin such a badass mod like this and not bein able to put whatever i have playin on my other screens kinda sux. in my opinion doin this mod is way better then doin a double din because of all the features u will get from it that u dont get from a double din like youtube, pandora, datpiff, gps, wifi, ect. any info would be apreciated.

#57 ·
There is a way. There's a dude who did the same thing with the tvs. It was a fish fishedition. His vid is on YouTube. As far as what to get to do that I have no clue, but it's totally doable. Don't forget to unlock that joint. If not you will be pissed if you have a Alpine deck. When it's plugged up to the alpine you can't freely go through your music. Other decks you can switch back and forth from using the iPad and using the deck to control everything. As far as the YouTube you would need the app from cydia (second apple store you get after you jailbreak) to get that to play. Basically unlock that joint to use it the way you want to. The warranty is no longer void if you do so. Hope this helped a lil bit.

#62 ·
I plan on putting in a 7" tablet in mine. Hope it looks that good when I'm done. I think I'm going to use the parrot asteroid as the media reciever.

#65 ·
Looking Good Tdubble

Looks Good Bud....This is how we did mine....see if you can see where the turn on/off switch is?

This is where i put my AC Controls:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.