Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

automoter water temp!!!

30K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  lt1ssb 
#1 ·
as i read all water gauges go bad in the impala and the sensor on the front by the water pump is for the pcm. i have a auto-meter gauge ready to install but need to know if i tap into the wire on the RH side of the block will my gauge read??

#39 ·
if anyone has detailed assistance regarding how to get the autometer connector off the sender id appreciate it. i bought a heat sleeve but i cannot get the darn thing off and im scared to force it. even with flashlight i cant figure out what needs pried

#43 ·
i hope im in the right area for this question my 96 roadmaster gauge isn't working right cause when i turn the car on the needle moves to the hot the goes back to the cold but doesnt move when driving or letting it sit what could be the cause of this and what can i do to fix it

#46 ·
i'll insert my mandatory sky is falling post: i wouldnt ever drive again without a functioning gauge or having my autoxray hooked up to monitor temps. i fried an engine when the head gasket blew and kept driving because i didnt know it was overheating

#44 ·
automoter water temp!

Open circuit in the wire and/or sender.

#47 · (Edited)
I plan on running the gauge soon but need to replace the ECT sensor now. Would I be safe to assume that, after installing the new sensor and plug, if I just use the two wires for the PCM and leave the 3rd alone I will be fine? Basically like having the 3rd wire dangling free and not connected to anything?... Until I get the gauge hooked up anyways. Rather than getting an ECT for an Impala now then later on buying and replacing a new sensor for the F-Body.

Just for some clarification before someone questions my antics... I am doing some diagnosing with my car right now and that is one of the parts I am going to be changing. I'm not going to be driving it with that wire dangling, I just don't have the new gauges hooked up and want to make sure it's going to be running right.

#48 ·
Just so everyone knows I ran the electric autometer a off the factory sensor but also got a sensor that has 3 wires out a late 90 s10 or blazer jimmy and am using the 3rd wire to run the autometer gauge now so the dash gauge gives me head temp and the autometer gives me the temp in the water pump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.