Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

ticking noise?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  helpcomputer 
#1 ·
hey everyone, when my car is in drive and reverse, and not park, it makes a ticking noise when i apply the gas. if im drivng next to a wall or other cars i can hear it. its not the sound of and exhaust leak, and the noise wont happen at all if i rev the car while its in park. the noise seems to bve coming from the transmission/back of engine possibly, but i dont know where exactyl or what it could mean. any help is aprreciated. btw the car runs and dives fine, no hesitation or stalling, etc.

#2 ·
U-joint, sticking caliper, stone in tire?

#4 ·
to narrow my issue....

there are no cats on the car, and the noise happens while im driving and while im stopped. if im at a light next to a car i can hear the noise, and if i slightly load the TC i can hear the noise.

#5 · (Edited)
... Jack up the car, (Safely) Start engine, Poke around... If you dont find it that way, Get a helper, Have them put the car into drive, spin the wheels SLOWLY, Check for noise.

Your not going to figure it out guessing. You can also try banging on the exhaust or other random things of suspect when its cool to check for anything loose. The TC shield can loosen as well and make some strange noises. Take it off anyway and check for a cracked flexplate or loose, Missing bolts on the torque converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.