Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Lines to power steering pump

13K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Caddylack 
#1 ·
How do I remove the lines going into / coming from the power steering pump? My gearbox was leaking so I am replacing the old lines snapped removing the gearbox we have the alternator out but was 100% sure on how to get these lines off of pump. I don't have a manual and will be purchasing one very soon but we are working on this now.

PLEASE HELP!!!

#2 ·
the metal line is a 5/8" or 16mm wrench, I found removing the battery ground strap from the accessory bracket helped but I have gary's cables.

the supply hose oem squeeze clamp you obviously have to rotate the hose to reach the clamp with pliers.
I replaced it with a worm clamp.

remember you can also lift the reservoir up off the bracket so it can rotate too to get the hose off.

#5 ·
Thank you do much foryour quick reply I'm having trouble just getting to the bottom line I can't even see it what all has to come off? I'm completely lost obviously. Should the ac come off
Should not have to remove the AC compressor. The Metal fitting going from the back of the pump over to the steering box just sort of sits on top of the compressor. The other metal line from the steerring box runs back to the Plastic resevoir tank. If yours does not have the cooler, then both of these hoses rubber portions are strap to the front frame crossmemer and run under the Engine oil pan.

Be very careful with the clamped hose that runs from the resevoir into the back of the PS Pump. This hose is not available anywhere. But if you look at the Group Purchase section you will see a post of mine there where it looks like Gates might be re-poping these but nothing definite yet. So be real careful with that hose. You shouldn't need to remove it if you are just rerplacing the metal Pressure hose. the other hoses are available at any parts store. and only run about $20 each.

It's a tight fit in the accessory area. Getting the Alternator out of the way is easy and could be a big help in gaining access.

#4 ·
ac doesnt have to be touched.
if you have the alternator support rods remove the one that bolts to back of alt and if necessary loosen and lift the one going to lower alt mount.
you can reach the metal line at rear of pump with wrench and even if necessary reach in with hand and loosen with fingers.

dont forget the small o-ring isnt stuck in the pump fitting either, replace with a new one.

#7 ·
Got it off can't get the new one to start threading to save my life gave up for the night. Having alot of trouble lining everything up to get it going
They can be tricky sometimes to get started. Try not to mount any of the line to any of the clamps so you can still wiggle the metal lines around as you try to start the threads. Make sure the fitting is going in as straight as possible into the fitting and you should be able to get a few threads started by hand. Don't force it in there and cross thread it. Sometimes it is best to take a breath and come back later. Keep at it, you'll get it.

#9 · (Edited)
Unbolt the PS pump so you have more room. Its way easier removing and hooking up the lines that way. The mobility a loose PS pump will give you will save a lot of headaches. Just rent the AZ power steering pulley remover. To install just get a good bolt, nut and a washer that fits good. IF you have a small bearing, that works nicer to press the pulley back on smooth.

If the PS line is stuck on the pump, Get a good flare wrench, put it over the line, block up the PS pump so it moves around less and hit the wrench with a hammer.. That, or cut off the line flush and use a socket (Which works well on the lines to the steering box as they are always rusted)

#10 ·
Unbolt the PS pump so you have more room. Its way easier removing and hooking up the lines that way. The mobility a loose PS pump will give you will save a lot of headaches. Just rent the AZ power steering pulley remover. To install just get a good bolt, nut and a washer that fits good. IF you have a small bearing, that works nicer to press the pulley back on smooth.

If the PS line is stuck on the pump, Get a good flare wrench, put it over the line, block up the PS pump so it moves around less and hit the wrench with a hammer.. That, or cut off the line flush and use a socket (Which works well on the lines to the steering box as they are always rusted)
I was also thinking what GHETTO WAGON mentioned about removing the pump but if you keep at it and get the alty out of your way I think you'll be able to start the threads..

As Ghetto mentioned, removing the pump from the bracket may make it a little easier to get started but you may have more trouble trying to hold that as well. But you could sort of guide the pump fitting onto the hose assuming you are having trouble getting the hose to move.

BTW - Ghetto - He shouldn't have to remove the pulley to get the pump off the accesory bracket. There should be 4 bolts that mount the PS Pump Flat plate to the Accesory bracket. He can then remove this assembly from the accesory bracket. I just did this to PCoat the bracket and pulley. Took the assembled PS PUMP, Pulley and flat plate into AZ for them to remove the pulley. Then back in to reinstall for me after coating was done.

#14 ·
use air conditioner o-rings, I dont know the size but measure the diameter and napa/az/horiellies should have them.

#16 ·
Why not just get the proper o-ring from the dealer,or NAPA. Not some b/s from AutoZone.

#18 ·
I am having the same problem as OP.

I got the old pressure line off of the pump with a hacksaw and a socket through the wheel well. Now, I can't get the new line attached. I can barely get a wrench on the nut, let alone turn it. Here is a pic of the cranny I am dealing with. The pic is from before I got the old line off, but you get the idea.

Will unbolting the pump really make that much difference?

Also: I cannot get the little variable assist thingy off of the old pressure line. It is rusted solid. Is this something I will be able to find at Autozone? I am not finding it on their website.

My car is in pieces and I am now going to miss my 9 am class tomorrow. So, thanks in advance for the help. It is much appreciated.

Attachments

#20 ·

I got the old pressure line off of the pump with a hacksaw and a socket through the wheel well. Now, I can't get the new line attached. I can barely get a wrench on the nut, let alone turn it. Here is a pic of the cranny I am dealing with. The pic is from before I got the old line off, but you get the idea.
Wow, I can't even imagine how you did that with the limited amount of room there is.

In this case I'd imagine it might make a world of a difference. You may just be needing that one angle to get the threads started correctly that you can't get with everything bolted together. Remember about the O-Ring before you start trying to assemble this.

I did this job with the alternator removed. I was not in a crazy hurry, and took the time to make things as easy as possible, as this you now know, getting access to that pressure line fitting is not fun.

Also: I cannot get the little variable assist thingy off of the old pressure line. It is rusted solid. Is this something I will be able to find at Autozone? I am not finding it on their website.
I believe you're referring to the PS Pressure Sensor, that is mounted close to the gearbox. You can find a replacement at AutoZone for the first two listings.

My car is in pieces and I am now going to miss my 9 am class tomorrow. So, thanks in advance for the help. It is much appreciated.
That's what the forum is for. Welcome to the club. I've had to leave a car sitting the next day because I wasn't able to get things finished on more than one occassion. Learn from it & the folks here.

Reactions: JaaDogg
#19 ·
How do I remove the lines going into / coming from the power steering pump? My gearbox was leaking so I am replacing the old lines snapped removing the gearbox we have the alternator out but was 100% sure on how to get these lines off of pump. I don't have a manual and will be purchasing one very soon but we are working on this now.
PLEASE HELP!!!
I'm catching up to an older thread.....

Did you get your problem resolved? Two other folks added on to this thread, so I thought I'd check to see how you made out?

#21 ·
I'm catching up to an older thread.....

Did you get your problem resolved? Two other folks added on to this thread, so I thought I'd check to see how you made out?
He has not been online for nearly 4 years, but hopefully he got if done by now. :wink2:

I think what will make the bigger difference is removing items in your way to gain access. Not much more I can add other than what was posted before. I'm not a big fan of extra work, but also not a big fan of aggravating wrenching and skinned knuckles. Sometimes....a little extra work up front helps with the battle of trying to work in a confined space.

So, I would recommend you remove whatever you can to gain access and more importantly....visibility to the area. As mentioned, remove the alty....that's real easy. MAybe pull the RF Wheel to gain some access/views thru the WW opening. May want to consider removing the Coolant reservoir too and good time to flush the cooling system if you do but not sure how much this might really gain you. But getting heater hoses out of your way could be a help and not really hard to do.

At least you got the lines removed which is most likely the worst part. However, you mentioned hacksaw and I have concerns that shavings could have found their way into the pump. Be sure to have cleaned out the openings as best you can and maybe just remove the Pump/Plate assembly from the accessory bracket just to be sure. These pumps are difficult at best to find a QUALITY replacement for so do whatever you can not to mess up your original pump. Also, while the pump is off, this would give you a quick/easy opportunity to make sure the new hose threads into the fitting ok.

Reactions: JaaDogg
#23 ·
Rock Auto has Airtex for $24.79, Standard for $$25.89, and AC Delco for $31.79 plus shipping.

#24 ·
You can also delete it by plugging the opening with an AN-03 port plug. Which is what I did many years ago.

#26 ·
The switch closes under higher pressure,and raises the idle slightly. Making it's deleted status "off",but doubt it would even matter. I installed a switch on the circuit to provide an option in idle speeds...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.