Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Rear Defrost doesn't work, what do i need to replace?

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  BandGbodies 
#1 ·
My rear window defroster doesnt work anymore. Do i just need to replace the timer? It doesn't turn on at all, and at the end of its life only turned on for a short time before it would turn off.

#2 ·
Your description points to the timer. Check for continuity through the grid, and for voltage to the timer. If you have voltage to the timer, and are not getting anything out of it, the reasonable assumption is that the timer is not functioning.

#4 ·
Go after the circuit breaker in the fuse box in the dash. Little silver can in the top row. I'm on my third onecwm8 since I bought the car 6yrs ago. When it goes, it will slowly shorten the amount of time it stays on, until *poof* - no more. Still available from RMS, P/N 12077863, $11.50.

#9 ·
do any of you guys have the part number for the timer if that is what needs to be replaced ? I have had the same problem and I replaced that fuse, thanks
Try this one: 16191952, but RMS is showning out of stock, and I think that they were discontinued a while back:mad:.

#7 ·
someone scraped the tint off of my back window and i think they scraped one of the defrost lines, is there a fix for that?

#8 ·
If they only scraped off one, the rest should work. Depending on how much of it they scraped off, there is a repair "paint". If they took the whole line off, you are probably going to have to live without it.

#11 ·
got a part # for the repair paint? or know where i can get it?

#12 ·
When I worked at Murray's, it was available as a kit from Permatex. Should be at any half way decent parts store. and maybe some not so decent ones, too.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.