Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Drain Plug and Headlight Problems....

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Turbo301 
#1 ·
So the other day, I went to go change my oil as it has been WAY too long since It has been done. Upon inspection, the head of my drain plug appeared to be stripped. It used a 9/16ths socket...however, all the replacement plugs I could find are half inch...will these fit without leaking?

The other bit I have is this...before I bought my Caprice Classic it was backed into by someone in a Subaru (the one with the tire on the tailgate). This dented the hood and somehow destroyed the assembly that holds in the headlight...does anyone know where I might be able to find this part and how much it would cost?

thanks,
Gmpar

#2 ·
The drain plug doesn't matter what size socket fits to remove it only that it is the proper thread for the oil pan. To answer your question, Yes it will seal assuming you have a sealing washer under the head of the drain plug before installing it. I persoanlly like the sealing washers that are metal with the internal rubber as they seam to last alot longer than the plastic or copper sealing washers.

#4 ·
original drain plugs are metric thread and 15mm wrench size iirc

#6 ·
Re headlights, what assembly is broken, the plastic one or the steel one where headlights and radiator are assembled? If plastic one suppose you should either buy new headlight, either go to jankyard and buy a headlight (not sure if they will sell you assebly separately fm headlight).

#7 · (Edited)
#11 ·
your dealer parts guy is incompetent.

PLUG. Engine Oil Pan Drain.
PLUG,OIL PAN DRN(M12X1.75X25)(W/SEAL)(EXC MAGNET). Required: 01
For: B 4.3W(L99) (1996-1996) (1996 - 1996).
Ive always heard good words about the fumoto's but would worry it'd get knocked off on a lowered car.
at least with the drain valves they made 15 yrs ago.

#10 ·
I had one of the Fumoto drain valves years ago,and they're pretty slick. Especially if the threads in the pan are "going away". Because, one can install the valve with JBweld if necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.