Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Insurance

11K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  speedforreal 
#1 ·
Just curious what you folks do for insurance on your rides.

I have full everything for my impala but if they are only going to give me 'book value' (4k??) if it gets totaled/stolen, im wondering if that's worth my money.

I keep it covered and garaged from about November to late march, but still pay for insurance 'just in case' which im also rethinking.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I have just liability on my car after keeping full coverage for about 16 years. I think if I were to want "full coverage" I would get stated value coverage where he Value is agreed on up front. Lot of Corvette owners use this type of coverage and find it to be very competitive with regular insurance companies.

#3 ·
I have an agent out here in NYC (Alllstate) but it doesn't matter where you live in the country she will hook you up very very very affortable. IF you want I can get her name and number PM to you if you like.

I will give you an idea of what I pay for just liability and this is in NYC the highest zip code probably. $77 dollars. !!!! A month

#13 ·
I have the same thing. I pay about $70/mo for full coverage with Travelers. My previous insurance company wouldn't even cover a car that old with full comp/glass.

That said, I need to call them up and see if I can insure it for a higher amount. Because while their "book" might say the car is worth 5k...a 25k mile impala ss is worth a lot more than that, forget about the mods in the car.

I wish I had a garage, I could insure it with grundy or something for $20k for $500/year and call it a day.

cali restricted use of zip codes and banned using credit scores because insurance companies were making them the main factor in rates.
I can't say using credit score hasn't helped me out. I get good rates for where I live and it's mostly due to credit.

#4 ·
It doesn't matter what other people are doing. Everyone has different ages, driving records, number of vehicles in the family, and location. There are different laws and policies in different states. Total loss claims are not adjusted by "book value." They are adjusted based on what your car with all its variations can be replaced for in the marketplace.
The best suggestion is to talk to an agent in your state and get comparable prices for the coverage you want. Check out prices from the on-line quote systems as well.
The business about not carrying material damage coverage due to the valu of the car sounds good, but it has been my experience that when a total loss occurs, it is always at the worst time, and a lot of people aren't prepared to incur the several thousand dollar expense to replace the car. You have to make those decisions for yourself. Good luck.

#6 ·
It doesn't matter what other people are doing. Everyone has different ages, driving records, number of vehicles in the family, and location. There are different laws and policies in different states. Total loss claims are not adjusted by "book value." They are adjusted based on what your car with all its variations can be replaced for in the marketplace.
The best suggestion is to talk to an agent in your state and get comparable prices for the coverage you want. Check out prices from the on-line quote systems as well.
The business about not carrying material damage coverage due to the valu of the car sounds good, but it has been my experience that when a total loss occurs, it is always at the worst time, and a lot of people aren't prepared to incur the several thousand dollar expense to replace the car. You have to make those decisions for yourself. Good luck.

No true completely. YEs they base the factors on age , history , etc. That is what THEY tell you..

BUT in reality from many insurance agents that I know and have told me that it is based on claim and fraud rate of that zip code where you live. IF there are a lot of payouts in that area there will be a red flag on anyone registerd for insurance in that zip.
It works like you WILL be paying for others fraud although you may never make a claim.

This zipcode where I live is the highest rate in NYC from what 3 insurance companies and agents have told me..

Read this
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/car-insurance-are-you-in-a-high-cost-zip-code/

#7 ·
^^^ My experience too. Just a change of address from Westchester to Queens nearly was like a 50% increase. Yet switching to allstate, with the address change and a 3rd car came out less.

#8 ·
"No true completely. YEs they base the factors on age , history , etc. That is what THEY tell you.."

I said location. What isn't true about that? Your ZIP code is your location. Of course if you live in a high crime area, you are going to pay more. How else would you do it if you were running things?

#12 ·
cali restricted use of zip codes and banned using credit scores because insurance companies were making them the main factor in rates.

that said, I've been with Wawanesa for 15 plus years and pay $886 a year for three vehicles, two are full coverage.

#16 ·
I use Liberty Mutual (so does everyone that I have sent to them).
(Might be a hint in there...)

(P.S. I don't make a dime on referrals - you and your driving record are on your own.)

$0/02

#18 ·
...I keep it covered and garaged from about November to late march, but still pay for insurance 'just in case' which im also rethinking...
For those of you that put your car(s) in storage during the winter, drop the liability and collision (keeping only the comprehensive) during the months it's stored. That'll save you some $$$, but still keep the car covered in case something happens (building burns down, tornado comes through, etc). Since you won't be driving it and it won't be hit by someone else on the road, you don't need the other two coverages.

#21 ·
This is what I do since I have a lot of "seasonal" vehicles. It drops my rate down to something like $12/month while my toys are parked for the winter.

#23 ·
I have State Farm. When I got my wagon they gave me the value at $2500 with 47,000 miles on it. I had the car appraised and went back with a value or $9k and the basically laughed at me. We "agreed" at $6k. Not the best case but it's better than $2500. I think the reason they agreed is because I put less than 1500 miles on my car per year.

#24 ·
I use Grundy collector car Insurance. I have an $8000 agreed value policy. Now this can't be a daily driver and in fact you must prove you have a daily driver vehicle. You can't use the car to drive to work, for errands or as a back up vehicle. And it must be garaged. But no mileage limits. They also pay for towing, hotel and such if you break down. Also I have $500 in spare parts if something happens to or in my garage. And I only pay $170 a year. Hard to beat really. Again you must prove that you have an insured daily driver, and that the car will be garaged, and show pics of your car. But if you car is totaled. They pay that agreed value. Now arguing what it is worth or try to give you blue book.

#26 ·
Not sure if this topic has been brought up on another thread but I just read last week that Hagerty and Progressive now declare the 94-96 impalas classic cars. Just for sake today I processed a quote on line, added $17,000 value (LOL) and Hagerty came back with $490 yearly. $490 would be about half of what I pay now with State Farm ($960 yearly) and I only drive the car twice a month. driven twice in the last 12 months. Any thoughts??

thanks,

#29 ·
What's there to think about? I've had my Caprice insured as a classic/custom car for the last 7 years and was paying $150/year for an agreed value of $8,000. This year it went up to $250. Just do it!

Does anyone know of a company that would let me keep my SS as a DD and insure it for an agreed value of say...5-7k

i have Hagerty for my vette.

-ALF out...
I've heard State Farm is good with this, and others I'm sure, but you could pay a "premium" for having this. I'd think an SS would blue book at about $5k anyways, so don't know if it's worth paying extra for insurance.

#27 ·
I use American Collectors Car ins for the cadi - No Daily Driver, Expected to be Garaged, mileage limits, yada. A bargain compared to what that geico lizrd azzhool wanted for liability alone.

#28 ·
Does anyone know of a company that would let me keep my SS as a DD and insure it for an agreed value of say...5-7k

i have Hagerty for my vette.

-ALF out...

#30 ·
29 years old and no tickets since 2003, no accidents either. Insured through geico for 40 dollars a month for Liability.

Getting that car painted has made life a struggle, im constantly worried about everything from tree's falling on it to deer hitting it. Yes its happened to me twice, once in an 07 Mustang and another time in a 2000 Dodge Dakota.

I bought it kinda as a beater to tinker with, now its the nicest car I have ever owned. Time to look into this collector car insurance or full coverage.

#31 ·
I too have state farm ins. wait 1 more year and you can get "special interest" car insurance policy. car must be 20 yrs old. I have a 69 mustang insured full cov for $200 annual, 15k loss total. each state is different with their coverage type but wouldnt hurt to ask your agent.

#32 ·
94-96 B-bodies aren't worth much any more, unless you have a low mileage SS. I just carry liability on mine. I wouldn't receive much for it from the insurance company if it were totalled. I could part the car out for far more than what it is worth. so why pay for the extra coverage? Only reason I would consider it would be for theft, which isn't common in my area and the car is always in the garage. Adding comprehensive and collision would only increase my premium by about $160 per year, but I still don't see any need for it in my case.

#34 ·
I have liability right now but I'm thinking about upgrading it to full coverage. I'm not too worried about wrecks- but say a window gets broken out. I'm not the type of guy to drive around with a black trash bag hanging off the side of his car. It'd only be an extra 15 dollars any how.

#35 ·
Definitely depends where you live and what you drive. Someone from AllState told me the three counties in South FL that actually matter are the WORST for insurance and real estate. Doesn't help that I drive a car that's always on the most-stolen lists.

Progressive: $657/6mo
Geico: about the same, last itme I checked
AllState: about $720/6mo
USAA: $960/60mo
Liberty Mutual: over $1200/6mo

Noel said he was paying barely more for his CTS-V than I pay for my Accord in insurance. I haven't had a ticket or anything since my Caprice was totaled in 2006 (not my fault), and no speeding tickets or anything for a while before that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.