10K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  chi-town 9c1 
#1 ·
she needs a lil love but she runs great 145xxx mil

needs paint

there is a hole in the floor

needs 2 new front seats and a good cleaning what you guys think

See less See more
#28 ·
agreed, despite the work needed. usually at this year in age, it all needs new paint and full interior. youll enjoy it, im sure.

#10 ·
it sits up in front because the guy put 9c1 springs in the front he gave me the original springs(which i will be putting back on) it runs fine it had been sitting for a month and started right up and ran great

#20 ·
Okay, we're getting a little off the original topic here, but...

Nash, your understanding of shocks is just fine. Crime Scene's comment is in error. The ('sprung') weight of the car is supported by the springs (not the shocks). The 9C1 springs are taller than the SS springs and they cause the front of the SS to sit 'high' (as seen in the photo). You can also do this with 'stiffer' springs of the same height, as they will not 'squat' as much under the same load.

If you took the springs out of the car and just left the shocks in place, the weight of the car would simply collapse the shocks all the way down (you can do this yourself with an old shock). Think of shocks as 'shock/vibration dampeners'. They are called 'shock absorbers' because that is exactly what they do - they 'absorb' the 'shock' - via a piston forcing oil (or gas) from one side of the piston, thru an orifice ('hole') to the other side of the piston.

There is not a shock that will raise a cars ride height after it goes bad. Even 'air ride' ('bags') will simply collapse when they go bad or lose pressure. When you 'bag & drag' a car, the (inflated) air bags press between the frame and the 'axles' raise the car and support its weight. When you want to 'drag' the frame (or the skid pads you've added to the frame - if you're bright) you reduce the air pressure in the bags (or hydraulics) which causes the car to lower down to where it starts dragging.

HTH

#22 ·
Nash, your understanding of shocks is just fine. Crime Scene's comment is in error. The ('sprung') weight of the car is supported by the springs (not the shocks). The 9C1 springs are taller than the SS springs and they cause the front of the SS to sit 'high' (as seen in the photo). You can also do this with 'stiffer' springs of the same height, as they will not 'squat' as much under the same load.

If you took the springs out of the car and just left the shocks in place, the weight of the car would simply collapse the shocks all the way down (you can do this yourself with an old shock). Think of shocks as 'shock/vibration dampeners'. They are called 'shock absorbers' because that is exactly what they do - they 'absorb' the 'shock' - via a piston forcing oil (or gas) from one side of the piston, thru an orifice ('hole') to the other side of the piston.

There is not a shock that will raise a cars ride height after it goes bad. Even 'air ride' ('bags') will simply collapse when they go bad or lose pressure. When you 'bag & drag' a car, the (inflated) air bags press between the frame and the 'axles' raise the car and support its weight. When you want to 'drag' the frame (or the skid pads you've added to the frame - if you're bright) you reduce the air pressure in the bags (or hydraulics) which causes the car to lower down to where it starts dragging.

HTH
wow

Ive read it several times. I can't figure out what im reading wrong. (i must be confused)

The way Im understanding this is that "babyblue" was talking about how high the front sets.

Then "Crime scene" replied that It needs front shocks and that the new shocks would lower the front down once they were replaced.

I'm just not reading something right I guess. Or im ignorant about shocks.
it sits lower because the last owner put taller springs on it

#21 · (Edited)
Nice find and +1 on a 'great save'!

Reccomendation: Change EVERY fluid in the car:

* Oil & filter,
* Tranny & filter (note: this is not the same as 'flushing' the tranny which IMHO can cause trouble in an older tranny) ,
* Brake (flush)
* Antifreeze
(windshield wiper fluid is 'probably' okay?)

Plus the air filter and the fuel filter

Here's a link to my thoughts on two pages about how to 'tune up' an Imp (a bit out of date, but I hope it's a good starting point):

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo124/TheFooserGuy/ImpalaTuneUp-1of2.jpg

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo124/TheFooserGuy/ImpalaTuneUp-2of2.jpg

HTH

#41 ·
Here's a link to my thoughts on two pages about how to 'tune up' an Imp (a bit out of date, but I hope it's a good starting point):

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo124/TheFooserGuy/ImpalaTuneUp-1of2.jpg

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo124/TheFooserGuy/ImpalaTuneUp-2of2.jpg

HTH
I just finished reading your impala tune links,and I am happy I am not the only nut case out here to think this is what exactly has to be done.

I have taken an exorbinant amount of grief from friends and co workers alike, only because I actually did everything on that list since last June with out ever seeing such a list, it just seemed like common sense.

This is the first time I have seen someone put a list together for these cars and frankly if you want to drive one of these daily, thats what you got to do.

Good links for people to see. Now If I can only get rid of that pesky vibration over 80mph , i'd be very happy.

#26 ·
@ Fooser Guy, im glad you cleared that up for some, but now im confused as to what the hell happened when i did my shocks.

Back in 2010 when i bought my car up until last summer, i needed front shocks bad because my car bounced violently, but my front end seemed to sat up a little higher in front than the rear. But when i replaced my shocks, i replaced them to relieve the bounce, but when i got home from the shop that same day, my front end sat lower to the ground than it did before the shock replacement. So i thought that was cool i finally got a comfy sport ride, and the front was low.

Any ideas as to what im seeing wrong here? I didnt think much about the issue then, because i again thought that was part of the purpose in replacing front shocks. Thanks

#34 ·
Keep it. What have you done with it so far?

#42 ·
Much obliged on that list, as well. I am the type of car owner that knows enough to get by, but not enough to know where to start when maintaining a car once it's reached the point of needing a tune. That'll really come in handy for me over the summer.

#47 ·
i have let this car sit as i have not had time for it but when i started on it i changed the serpentine belt and took it for a ride to find out that the person who i got the car from did a break job but didn't tighten the bolt in the rear and the one side of the caliper came off and stuck in the inside of the wheel and i couldn't move .....not fun

#48 ·
one the good side of things my buddy changed the springs back to stock and he tried to smoke the tail lights i need to replace them because they're cracked but it looks koool until i get around to it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.