Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Dash pad cracked

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Caddylack 
#1 ·
After scouring the junkyard and finding the holy grail, an uncracked dash pad. Cleaning it and SEM'ing it. I went out today and found it had cracked. I searched and did not come up with any sort of all inclusive dash pad thread like there should be since this is a very common problem.

So question is, should I wrap it with material? Repair it with glue? Or replace it and take measures to prevent the replacement from cracking?

What did you do and how? How is it holding up?

I hate those ugly dash carpets.

I want to wrap it with some similarly textured yet thin material, my only concern is vent fitment afterwards.

#2 ·
#3 ·
I have a spare dash I would like to get recovered. But I think this is difficult to do correctly yourself and maybe only have 2 options.

1) contact thIs company and check out their video of how it's done. Really difficult for the average user. http://justdashes.com/

2) contact an automotive apholster and get it done in leather. I've seen one before and it looked very classy with the leather stitching on the edges. Thought I've seen it here somewhere but can't find pics. Could be expensive too.

#4 ·
I've seen one before and it looked very classy with the leather stitching on the edges. Thought I've seen it here somewhere but can't find pics. Could be expensive too.
my buddy had his wrapped in leather when he re-did his interior. here's a pic

#8 ·
Drool....

The arm rests and all, very nice. So I guess it was a shop that did all that. Does he also have those Billet Door Bezels that AllDimensions sells? There's a $1000 right there.

But $5K is scary, I would be afraid to let anyone sit in the car. Just for Sh!ts and Gigs I may take my dash to a local guy and see what he may charge.

#9 ·
tell me about it. those door bezels are some woodgrain ones I sold him back in March. 5 grand is scary, but it's well worth it specially if u win some awards for it. :D don't get me wrong that's too rich for my blood hahaha

#10 ·
if you hadn't taken care of your cracked dash yet, there's a 2 options...im on operation dash pad my self you can use permatex super glue to fill crack sand, repaint. Or you can use plastic weld apoxy to fill crack sand with paint stripping wheel till smooth and have it recovered in vinyl by a upholstery shop which is better but not ass cheap as super glue. Let us what happened

#11 ·
I had a similar problem yrs ago with my 66 Chevelle. Could not find a good dash pad. Went to my local upholstery shop and had them cover it using seat cover material. Came out great and cost only $100! But then again this was 20 yrs ago.

#14 ·
Well, since it's been bumped...

I'm surprised that nobody is producing an aftermarket dash for these cars yet. It has to be only a matter of time. You can buy a dash "pad" (cover) for as cheap as $20, but I know this option doesn't appeal to everyone.

Getting the dash covered by a local shop is a good option that will likely cost less than you expect. I think the stitching looks good, but of course you don't have to get any stitching. The dash could be recovered in a way that appears factory to anyone who doesn't know better.

I've seen a number of dashes that have been painted or coated in some way, with varying results. Some of them look great, and some of them don't. Of course, if you are filling a crack, that will make it very difficult to maintain the original texture. Most people will opt to sand the material smooth so that the finish is uniform. If you decide on a gloss finish, there will be much less room for error. For those who prefer a more factory look, you will want something like SEM. Although you don't see it often, there's no reason why SEM couldn't be used on a smooth, sanded surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.