Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

ECIRS Races #10 & #11-DOUBLE DIP -Sat 10/11- BK Open & NJDW Drag Day - Island Dragway

13K views 147 replies 18 participants last post by  bigblock671 
#1 · (Edited)
ECIRS Races #10 & #11-DOUBLE DIP -Sat 10/11- BK Open & NJDW Drag Day - Island Dragway

You heard it here first - a DOUBLEHEADER at ISLAND DRAGWAY.

Race 10 - The much talked about, eagerly antipated Big Kahuna Open. Come one come all.

...and if that's not enough...

Race 11 - The New Jersey Door Works Drag Day - a late night shootout to win the hearts and minds of drag racers all over the world

2pm gate so be ready for some Saturday Night Lights and be ready to eat lunch, dinner, and possibly a midnight snack at the track.

2PM GATE!

PS - the races may not be in that order lol

#72 ·
Ok we are going to wait until 9am to make the call. Not looking good but we will give Island every chance to open.

Glen, Keef, and myself are agonizing over this, we have traded over 40 texts today while watching the weather. Well, 37 of those texts were ECIRS related, the others were nekked pics of Stumpy doing the laundry. MY EYES!

Stay tuned and sorry for the inconvenience.

If this race is cancelled it will stay cancelled, we will just go to 10/25 and CT-TriSexual race plus the double points final .

#73 ·
I am out.
Son had a concussion on tuesday. held me up working some this past week.
I have about a 1/2 days worth of work to finish in order for a painter to start today.
ready to go to work on a saturday morning
this means that it won't rain for sure!
hope i'm wrong hope i'm wrong hope i'm wrong

#74 ·
Melissa closed Island Dragway for today. She said with cool temperatures and even though rain should be stopping at 12noon she still doesn't think she can dry the track in time.

Sorry guys we tried.

#76 ·
Really 3 races in one?
Dam that is going to be a wild day and anyone and everyone who has a B-Body should be there with rounds rounds rounds up for grabs

Will Island fit us in for all three?

#77 ·
Sorry all, but the NJ Door Works and the Kahuna open races are canceled for the season.

There are two races left, the CT Tri-9 makeup before the Double Points Finale on Oct. 25th at Island Dragway.

#80 ·
Mmmmmmm triple header think I would bail on hockey for a triple woooot woooottttt

#82 ·
#85 · (Edited)
I still am asking why not a three race day event.
With all the cars it could and would be exciting till the last round and with the weather change and breakage you could be on the top first round and out of the top ten by the end.
So why not make it something special and unique in the ECIRS history books.
I bet a good write up with pics and blow by blow accounts could get us in a publication.
If the track allows it and we have a sponsor then lets try it.
Hell in the past 2 years I broke 3 times at Island and either limp home or had a great racing group help me get it fixed (Thanks again Glen)

Just my thoughts!

P.S. I am bringing lots spare parts and all the tools I have including Brake line fixes!!!! (thanks Norm for helping at the last race)

#86 ·
im glad some people have have expressed their views even though we seem to be in the minority :(

I still am asking why not a three race day
event.
With all the cars it could and would be exciting till the last round and with the weather change and breakage you could be on the top first round and out of the top ten by the end.
So why not make it something special and unique in the ECIRS history books.
I bet a good write up with pics and blow by blow accounts could get us in a publication.
If the track allows it and we have a sponsor then lets try it.
Hell in the past 2 years I broke 3 times at Island and either limp home or had a great racing group help me get it fixed (Thanks again Glen)

Just my thoughts!

P.S. I am bringing lots spare parts and all the tools I have including Brake line fixes!!!! (thanks Norm for helping at the last race)

#88 ·
There is no reason I can think of why we can't have a triple header. The race is paid for, the facility will accommodate us. Chris is coming all the way from South Carolina. Instead of saying no to everything, explore and see how much fun and excitement this will be! There is nothing to be afraid of. This will leave things wide open, for the championship and Top Ten spots. It's time to prepare and duke it out for "The Triple Header Showdown @ Island Dragway 25 October 2014! I'm not giving out Cheetos. Do it!

#90 ·
Just think of how the final race will be. Everyone that is still running will be so dialed in that it will be judged within thousandths of a second and the only variables will be reaction time and DA changes. If you know your car and watch the DA you can dial for the changes to the hundreds of a second and let it all hang out. At the last race one round I won was only by .0035. Now that is an exciting win and even the loser can not feel bad because it was so close. I can see this being the normal winning variable in all the races on the 25th.

BarryG

#89 ·
Triple header sounds awesome!

#94 ·
I`m up for anything... Why not have all 4? The two cancellations from last week, Tri-9 & Final? Too much? <LOL>

#101 · (Edited)
Everyone, please let's find a way to work this all out.

We're family. That's why I got back into ECIRS even though I can no longer afford to do it financially.

There has to be a compromise that will work everyone involved.

It's been a tough year with rain outs and rescheduling that has confused some racers. OK, just confused Dan.

Online may not be the best way to vent frustrations and point fingers.

Can we just talk about it? Share ideas?

I'll start:

Is November races an option?

Can the Cold Day Race be used to make up another race?

Can we plan a triple header race early next season if not this season? Can it be an option if races get cancelled and rescheduled next season?

Can Rob Sr, BK, Fred G, and Glen sort this out with a group hug?

We're not the Corvette club or Crossfiyha club.

We're better than that.

We're family god damn it!!!

#104 ·
Lance, we've already pushed it back, and we did try, twice, to make up the TWO rained out races.

Before this week I thought we had a fairly successful season given all the rain. We've already concluded 8 races and we've committed to a 9th plus the finale, which is a typical season schedule.

We still are a family, but the number of the faithful has definitely declined. Attendance was down this year, and in my opinion that is what hurts the "family" the most! I'm totally surprised that not having 3 races in one day, on the same day of the double points finale no less, is suddenly an unacceptable turn of events and that family members are willing to quit the series because of it.

I'm curious to know what matters most to the family. Is it the number of times we get together in one season to race and enjoy each others company, or is it the points? If it's the points, then perhaps some of those that have made fewer than 4 races can buy them from Norm Pelton, who has come to every race this year, and will probably drop out of the top 10 if 3 or more bottom dwellers suddenly see the value of coming to a single race because they'll be able to get points equivalent to 4 races.

Ever wonder why Karl stopped coming, dropped out of the family? You think it's harsh that you can't get your way, well consider doing all the work only to hear that it's not good enough!

#102 ·
Wow guys! How'd I miss this shiz?
I don't have a solution but to say, just show up and race!!
We race for a plaque but moreoever for FUN!
The weather put a damper on us this year. BLAME IT ON THE RAIN, not each other.
With that in mind, our friendships are what matters.
1 race, 2 races, 3 races, does it matter?
LINE EM UP!

Nab

#105 ·
EDIT: Did not see Glen's post before I posted this

My $0.02...

Everyone sees life from their own perspective and their own needs and wants.

Do you really think I wanted to cancel my own race? I have $250 worth of trophies sitting in my garage.

Here is another factor to consider on top of us trying not to make a mess of the finals...

All the people pushing hard for a tripleheader are, SURPRISE, all the people that don't have a lot of races and way behind in the standings. Well heall yeah if I was way behind I'd want 5 more races added in. It's human nature. But Karl made the rules in the past and now Glen makes them and while I didn't always agree I abide by them. You guys are more than welcome to get involved and help run this thing. No one is every going to be happy but you need to be involved all along.

I can't believe some of you are threatening to take your ball and go home if you don't get your way. I am stunned reading this stuff.

Look at it from the another perspective: To be able to not show up all season, or just show up a few times, and be able to get into the Top 10 in ONE DAY is NOT what ECIRS is about, nor what it was built on.

It's about PARTICIPATION and all we talk about is getting people to come to races all season long. That's the goal, getting people to come to the track.

Glen and I beg you guys to show up all year and you don't. So now, someone who is behind in the standings wants to jam a bunch of races in there - of course if you're way behind this makes sense. But it's not fair to the people who showed up all season, who made ECIRS a priority.

Everyone makes decisions and a lot of people decided to do other things all year instead of show up at the races are mad?

How is that fair to Norm or Glen or Bob Lynch or even SSonic and Michelle and the rest of the people who came to a lot of the races? Some of them won't care (or understand) but it's not right.

Honestly, why bother having a long, planned out season if you can just show up at the end and try and slide into the Top 10? Is that what it's all about? The jacket?

You guys would come for THREE races but quit ECIRS or not show if we only have TWO races? Really? I can't even believe what I read above?

Sometimes stuff happens. We got very unlucky with the rainouts this year, we rescheduled how many times? So it's not like we didn't try and jam them all in. Glen busts his ass for us and the comments above are unbelievable and hurtful and to be honest a bit selfish.

As far as I'm concerned do you guys really think I don't want more races? I have a 30 point stinker to knock out of there plus as stated I have trophies sitting in my garage. I always want to race but we talked about this at length and it didn't work it this year. We tried. And because I am in the lead I let Glen make the final decision.

Dictatorship? Really? You guys are more than welcome to pick up the ball and run with it, after this season and these embarrassing comments above I doubt Glen is going to want to bust his ass for you guys and run this. You have NO IDEA how much work goes into this. I'm honestly sad at some of the comments above.

Bottom line is Glen made me realize this is the right thing to do and while I want to race and have my own BK Open it was truly the right thing in the spirit of ECIRS. You guys can be mad but you are the ones who put yourselves in this position. It's the right (and fair) thing to do.

This post has been deleted
#106 · (Edited)
Glen, not clear if your post is directed at me or to everyone, but I will respond.

For me it's not about the points.

It's about friendships, the "family", and our cars.

I did not like how this thread took a turn.

I didn't plan to attend the last race that was cancelled. I am not going to make the double points final. I'm not interested in knockin Stormin Norm out of the top 10 by sneaking in the top 10 with a triple header race day.
BTW, my racing has sucked big time because I suck at the tree and my car has not been consistent.

I was lucky to attend the few races that I did. I just can not afford to do it anymore and to be honest, I may have to sell my 9C1 and wagon because I can not afford to fix the many issues with them. Blame it on married
with children in one of the most expensive metro areas in the country. That's life.

I just hate to see this all go south, people quit, people call out each other, and wanted to try and point it in a more positive direction by having a discussion about alternatives, compromises, and/or clarifications.

That is all.

#107 ·
Lance,

It wasn't all directed at you. You just happened to be the only one that asked a question.

All,

The series has been in decline for years. This years attendance has been very bad, and that can't continue. Not worth my time, and probably not worth yours either to organize a dozen races, collecting sponsor fees, order plaques every other week, get jacket choice for 10 individuals, source 10 different jackets, make a list of everyone's unique jacket embroidery items, pack the boxes and sending them to the embroider, order the champions cup, submit new plaque design to add new champs name to the plaque, and I'm sure there's more.

I was going to wait until after the finale to propose new dramatic changes, but since there's so much passion now, let's talk.

To start, I'm not running ECIRS next year! (it just suddenly came to me)

If ECIRS is to remain the same old series, or even remotely similar, then someone else has to pick up the ball and run with it.

Instead, I suggest we make major changes, including changing the name to something more inclusive so that it attracts a lot more racers. It could be a money series, it could be a series at one track, it could be a charity organization that donates to a worthy cause. Who cares what it's called, we're family, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.