Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

84 Caprice freshening up with mild mods

13K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  HAFROD 
#1 ·
I bought it for $500. After a new radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, hoses, and basic tune up, it's running pretty good. I'm lowering it, deleting trim, and painting it. I've already got a good start but only have the weekends to work on it cause I drive it daily. I've built alot of tri 5 Chevys, a few musclecars, and a couple street rods. A buddy told me there's no way to make a box with 4 tires cool but I'm up for his challenge. Smoothing and altitude adjustment are big improvements for just about anything. I work in a custom accesories shop for cars and trucks. We tint windows, spray in bed liners, lifts/lowering. Anyways, here's my build. I can see it finished in my head and it's cool!

See less See more
#54 ·
I figured that I better get the engine tip top first before I scratch fresh paint leaning over the fenders. I'm deleting the computer controlled crap. I have replaced many parts and it's one thing after another so it's going in the trash. I rebuilt an older Q-Jet from many parts carbs I had. I thought the car had a cast iron intake until I removed it today. Too bad I bought one from a salvage. I rebuilt an old HEI also. So hopefully tomorrow afternoon, I'll be firing it off and see if it runs better. The old intake was leaking coolant and the idle was crazy so I suspected a vac leak. When I got the old intake off, I noticed the engine is pretty clean inside. I sandblasted the intake and the water neck housing and shot on some Dupli Color engine enamels. The rest of the engine looks like crap but the intake sure looks good!

#55 ·
Spent most of the day tuning the engine. I stripped apart the doors of handles, etc. and the rear of the car. I took apart the taillight hosings and restored one lens for a side by side comparison. I first used Mothers mag and aluminum polish to remove scratches, I then used swirl mark remover, and then finished with plastic polish. I used microfiber towels for each application. It looks like a brand new lens. The first pic looks cloudy but your seeing the clouds in the sky! 2nd pic is with a flash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.