Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Pimp my ride (on a budget)

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Badass94Cad 
#1 ·
Looking hard for a wagon for my business. Want something customized enough to be noticed. It's going to driven so nothing radical. I have a couple to look at but I ran upon what appears to be super nice RM loaded and low miles. In my budget but it leaves little cash to alter the car. It looks just like this one except it is black.

Given that I will only have a few hundred to spend on the car I am trying to decide what would give the most bang for the buck. Wheels and tires would be good but price is a problem.

I love Wide White and painted smoothie wheels but your talking a 800-1,000 for set of wide whites. Then $400 for a set of smoothies. Might find something cheaper but the tires are just a killer. I could do drop spindles and rear springs but it's still going to look stock.

I have scoured the web for ideas and I got nothing! I am stumped and thought I would toss it out and see if any had an bright ideas I am overlooking before I write this one off.

See less See more
#3 ·
chrome wheels chrome B and C pillars and a set of louder mufflers and it will get plenty attention

Most people never see cars this big anymore so just that clean woody alone would stand out in traffic

#5 ·
Lowering springs $150~200, stock steel wheels 4@ $6+tax $28 from junk yard, full moon hubcaps $80 ebay (thehotrodgirl.com), used flowmasters from junk yard $50 ($10 installation clamps), remove .120 shims F&R both sides to adjust camber $0, weld 3 inches of exhaust pipe to upper rear spring perches to keep springs from falling out $25, sell old wheels $-150~200, wide whites $0. Total $73~173.

#6 ·
If a few hundred is all you have to spend on it, I'd put new rubber under the hood (belts/hoses) and fresh rubber on the OEM rims (if they need it), fresh fluids all the way around, and save the rest for any suprises the previous owner didn't bother to tell you about.

And how is a WOOD GRAIN B-body station NOT enough to stand out on it's own amongst a sea of SUVs and FWD garbage?

#7 ·
Armada Master, I hear exactly where you are coming from. There would still be money for repairs if needed. Being a smart business man I have set a budget that I will stay in. I am not spending everything I have. I have been putting cash back to buy a new vehicle and this is just what I have in the car fund.

I have been casually looking for a while. The plan was to buy in about a year when I have more money. But my truck is just about worn out. Took it to get a freeze plug replaced and my mechanic called in Hospice last week on the truck. ;) Every freeze plug in it is leaking!

Fred, I like the way you think! Why it never occurred to me to buy junk yard standard wheels I will never know! I was thinking new smoothies but there isn't enough difference to warrant that. Standard wheels would have the same effect even if they didn't look quite as good.

I could swing drop spindles and rear springs. I have always preferred spindles over cut springs. So this might might be a plan. I would prefer a white car but black with red wheels might look sharp. On second thought everyone does red, I need to think on that and try to find another color that would contrast and still be tasteful.

#9 ·
OK, took a photo and added some wheels to see what it would look like. Not as good I was expecting but I think I like the red wheels. The full covers I am not so sure about. Still think white cars look better this way.

Rather crude looking but it gives me an idea. Might have to go look at this one.

Attachments

#12 ·
I think they still make "fake whitewalls". They go on the rim between the tire and the outside flange.Another option would be blackwall or raised white letter, and old style spinner or retro Buick hubcaps.

#13 ·
Actually, they do still make those whitewall inserts. You can't tell from a distance. They look cool, and are cheap.

#15 ·
I hadn't heard that about grinder whites. Is the turning brown any worse than normal whitewalls that go neglected.

Also, I have heard that port-a-walls and radials don't mix too well due to the flex of the sidewalls.

One other point: I personally would recommend cut 9C1 springs or lowering springs over dropped spindles; especially on a Roadmaster. The stock Buick springs are so soft that they do not work well with a lower ride height.

#16 ·
Neglected white walls will still shine up with a little Wesley's Blech White.

Shaved whitewalls turn brown and stay brown.

Take my advice or don't. I'm just trying to save you some disappointment, aggravation and ultimately money down the line. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.