Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Low coolant light!

13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  impalassdude 
#1 ·
Here's the situation, not much heat and I have a 6hr drive at -35deg. celsius. Started by flushing the heater core w/ a hot-water pressure washer from work before the trip (heat a little better), my PCM was set up last summer to have the fans come on a lot sooner so in my infinite wisdom I pulled the fan relays for the trip and the heat was not bad (kids in the tailgunner seats were still cold though so I put some cardboard in front of the rad) The heat then was respectable but in my dumb-assedness (new word:))I left the car idling while my wife went into Timmies to take the kids pee and I wasn't paying attention to the Temp. gauge and POOF!!! I blew the end off the stupid plastic reducer to the heater core and puked out all the coolant. I fixed this by putting in a ribbed hose connector (male-male) NO ****:) to replace reducer-flow control thingy. ONE: Can I leave this in place indefinitely and TWO: Since I over-heated the car and fixed the problem my low-coolant light will still not go out?! I have also noticed that on defrost the A/C clutch no longer cycles! Did I miss a step or do I have to clear the light w/ a diag. tool?
Thanks guys, Jeremy
P.S. To all who celebrate it...Merry Christmas

#4 ·
yup thats about the only fix. a nice hard wack to the tank...... I had a customer's car I was working on and tried to buy one new at the parts store or dealer but they only sell you the WHOLE tank and no the sending unit... only other option is JY...

#5 ·
I fixed this by putting in a ribbed hose connector (male-male) NO ****:) to replace reducer-flow control thingy. ONE: Can I leave this in place indefinitely and TWO: Since I over-heated the car and fixed the problem my low-coolant light will still not go out?! I have also noticed that on defrost the A/C clutch no longer cycles! Did I miss a step or do I have to clear the light w/ a diag. tool?
Thanks guys, Jeremy P.S. To all who celebrate it...Merry Christmas
No, your going to have to put in a new flow control valve soon or you stand a chance of breaking the heater core. The valve limits the pressure to the core. your local parts store may have this valve also.

http://www.rockauto.com/
ACDELCO Part # 155423 {GM #10157988}
Heater flow control valve - $11.56

The AC/ defrost clutch cycle is probably not working because you pulled the fan relay. As already instructed, smack the side of the tank to get the low coolant light off.

#7 ·
shouldn't matter.if that dont work make sure you burped it good. the 96s are a pain to burp.i think the radiator is smaller on the 96.

#9 ·
how do you burp the impala have simular problem with heat not working very little hot air
if you have very little heat that is your heater core is pluged up.take off your heater hoses by the passinger fender as close to the firewall as possible and then take your garden hose and flush it out in both directions but not hard.you burp it by getting it up to tempature have the front end of the car slightly up or at a incline then losen the screw the the top heater hose.may have to do this several times to get the air out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.