Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Diehard Platinum Battery?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  RatSSled 
#1 · (Edited)
I needed a new battery, did a little research and learned that the Diehard Platinum battery is made by EnerSys which is the same company that makes the coveted $375 Odyssey battery. I used some online coupon codes and got this for $190ish after tax with a core

This type of battery is an AGM type like Optima's but the Odyssey has a better reputation than the newer post-buy out Optima's (at least from what I read).

AGM's are also supposed to be a little more sensitive to heat so I used some insulation I had laying around and made a thermal barrier for it.

Anyone have experience with the Diehard Platinum or Odyssey batteries?

See less See more
#3 ·
It's an excellent battery, and worth it because of what you've stated. AGM is best for high vibration environments like a race car. I have one in my race car.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
I have the same

I've had the exact same battery for about a year, no issues. Went thru a couple of optima's in about 5 years so I decided to do some research and found the good old die hard.

#8 ·
I've had the exact same battery for about a year, no issues. Went thru a couple of optima's in about 5 years so I decided to do some research and found the good old die hard.
Just to echo the sentiment, battery selection needn't be rocket science. Standard lead cell batteries aren't as hit or miss as they used to be w/ the advent of sealed units. Believe there are only 3 or so major manufacturers nationwide and around 95% of rebadged batteries come from one of these sources.

Can there be lemons? Sure. Surprising though how many more horror stories I hear of from the "upper end" (read as 'Optima') batteries vs. the rebadged whatevers.

In my case, duralast gold. 2nd go around. About 6 years on the first one. This one has been in since '08 and still cranks just as much as day 1.

If I can get 6 or + years out of a no frills off the shelf battery, well, that's just fine by me.

If there's a distinct need for an upgrade in performance...and price, well go for it. However, I'd wager for the average Joe out there, Wally world, AA, AZ, Pep boys, Costco, Sears, whatever will be just fine and suit your needs well for many years.

#10 ·
I've been happy with Everstart (Walmart). Its made by Johnson Controls which also makes the batteries for most chain auto stores like AZ and Oriely's. I only get the Everstart because of cost. I use a group 24 deep cycle marine with top post. It cost $79 before tax and core and has a 3 year free replacement. The "MAXX" batteries are about $100 and have a 5 year free replacement. I run the deep cycle due to running my batteries down some what often. I'm pretty hard on them (have used them to weld a few times). The battery that was in the my 95 (Oriely's battery) was 4 years old when I got it. I trickled charged it back up and ran it another year and a half before it gave up the ghost. I also ran it completely dead probably a good 15 times and it isn't a deep cycle.

#14 ·
Deka is an excellent battery, they're generally all I ever buy. If the diehard AGM were not actually an Odessey, I would have bought a Deka AGM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.