Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

vats

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  BBBTank 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
After work tonight, I got stranded at work for an extra 10 mins because my vats kept me out of my car. Now, I have never had this happen to me. After my long, miserable day I just wanted to go home and this ticked me off.

I have a OBD1 to usb cable and freescan (so far). I would like to disable VATS from my car. I am sure this information would be somewhere in the past, but as of right now it is impossible to get to. Any help, pros/cons would be appreciated. thanks

chris

#4 · (Edited)
disabling VATS in PCM takes care of the fuel injection cut off, the module controls the power going to the starter when you turn the key.
so if the key is wrong or the resistor is not registering then fuel will shut off, but if resistor is working and the module is broken then no power will go to the starter when you try to crank it, depending on what your problem is you may or may not be able to fix it by disabling VATS in PCM.

i'll give you an example , and i'll use a stick shift car to make things easy:

1- If key/resistor was a problem you could push start the car but fuel would shut off, this is when disabling VATS would take care of this issue.
2- if module was the problem you could push start the car and it would keep running.

the short write up is you take out the relay in the module and jump #30 and #87 to bypass the VATS so it won't look for any signal coming from the ignition switch.

EDIT: i found some pictures on google cached pages of the guy who did this once:

#5 ·
here's a text only version of what i found cached on google:

--------------------------------------------------------------

lt1_s3
Send a message via AIM to lt1_s3

First, let me start off by saying that I have done countless searches with not much help.

Ok my question is can the vats only be deleted from the computer and not have resisters placed in line?

Also does anyone have a link to a vats delete post, the crash must have lost the ones I have seen befor.

I bought a remote start/keyless entry off a guy at work for $20 new in box and wanted to install it, isthis a pretty simple project?
Thanks John

Transmission: T56 M6, steel forks, cf syncs

car: ?????????

I also have a 72 skylark GS 455/th400, a 95 Z28, and a 75 laguna S3

lt1_s3 View Public Profile Send a private message to lt1_s3 Find all posts by lt1_s3

Old 04-01-2005, 09:59 PM
95wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

If you "turn off" VAT in the PCM it will no longer look for the signal from the VAT module before enabling fuel BUT The cranking inhibiter relay will still be there and will stop cranking so you must jump it also.
Gerry

334 RWHP@5900
12.83@104.59 NA (auto)
1.69 \"60\"

350 T56 6 speed

Drag strip pics and video
My Wagon
My W-31 Cutlass

95wagon View Public Profile Send a private message to 95wagon Visit 95wagon's homepage! Find all posts by 95wagon

Old 04-01-2005, 11:26 PM
gvillepoet

go to www.drdetailshop.com its a nice shop and will tell you everything you need. or jsut some helpful email from the guy. just recently got my remote start on. basically you buy a bypass relay. its only 20 something bucks i believe. i bought it from that website. and then bought the Valet 561t system off of ebay. for about half its retail price. works just fine and love to scare people in the parking garage.

gvillepoet View Public Profile Send a private message to gvillepoet Visit gvillepoet's homepage! Find all posts by gvillepoet

Old 04-02-2005, 06:29 PM
lt1_s3

I refuse to spend the money on a bypass module, I will just use resisters. I omed the resister in my key and it read 1.26, does this sound right? I know I'm to look for the orange wire with the white stripe at the bas of the colum, do i just cut the wire and put the resisters in line?

Transmission: T56 M6, steel forks, cf syncs

car: ?????????

I also have a 72 skylark GS 455/th400, a 95 Z28, and a 75 laguna S3

lt1_s3 View Public Profile Send a private message to lt1_s3 Find all posts by lt1_s3

Old 04-03-2005, 02:28 PM

The fact remains that if you use resisters you have left the VATS module in operation.
Sure you have bypassed the key and lock cylinder, but if you are disabling the VATS why leave it operating at all? It can still let you down and is pointless if you are going to render the system inoperative with a resister.

If you turn off the VATS in the PCM (which was the original question) and bridge the wires at the inhibiter relay the system is completely disabled.

All that being said, mine is still all in place and functional.
Gerry

334 RWHP@5900
12.83@104.59 NA (auto)
1.69 \"60\"

350 T56 6 speed

My Wagon
My W-31 Cutlass

95wagon View Public Profile Send a private message to 95wagon Visit 95wagon's homepage! Find all posts by 95wagon

Old 04-04-2005, 05:35 PM

#6 ·
lt1_s3

I will delete the vats in the pcm but, my question is how do bypass it for the time being so that I can hook up my remote start.

Are the resisters placed in line on the orange wire with the white stripe at the base of the steering colum? If I do this and program out te vats in the pcm wouldn,t the vats be gone alltogether?

Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 AM

From what I can see in the service manual there is a .35 WHT/BLK #1073 and a .35 PPL/WHT # 1074
coming from the Theft Deterrent Module to the column.
The resister would go across those wires where they plug into the short harness that comes from the lock cylinder.

I can't tell you the colors of the short harness.

If you run a resister and turn off the VATS in the PCM the Theft Deterrent Module is still in operation. It still looks for the correct resistance (which your resister provides) and then grounds the Theft Deterrent relay windings so the starter will operate.
You could still have a module or relay failure that would cause a no crank.
This is why I feel that if you are going to defeat it, you should completely bypass it.
Gerry

334 RWHP@5900
12.83@104.59 NA (auto)
1.69 \"60\"

350 T56 6 speed

My Wagon
My W-31 Cutlass

Old 04-06-2005, 05:45 PM
lt1_s3

how would I go about doing a complet bypass of the vats? I have a factory servise manual so a page # would also help. And again thanks for your time!
John
Old 04-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Nor-CalSS is an unknown quantity at this point

This is how you disable it according to QALO'SS Impala SS Handbook. Please save the image so I can delete it. Dont wanna use up server space. LMK if and when you save it. Once you save it you can zoom in to read better. Hope this helps you somewhat.
HTH
-edit- I took the pic down.
I dont know if you have already but you need to download QALO'SS Haandbook. The info you need is on page 50 and 51
HTH

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm heading out to the dealer to have them check the resistance. I remember I checked it once and i read it being either key 7 or 8, but when I tried to measure it again recently I could not get a steady answer. Eventually, I want to completely disable it. But, for now, I just don't want to be left stranded. I have never had this happen to me, but I'm glad it only took me a 3rd try before it cranked and started.

#8 ·
Well I have figured out which key # I am using, so I ordered a pair off fleabay for like $16. So for only a couple more dollars I can get my keys cut too.

Let me get this straight, so in order to make VATS a thing of the past, I need to take out the module, jump the pins and program it out of my pcm?

#9 ·
yes .

#10 ·
How about if you want to FIX the VATS system. Would you need to get a new module and possibly a new key with matching resistor in it? Or is there more to do besides that?

#12 ·
not sure why you would wanna fix the vats system, if security is your goal i will tell you that anyone who knows what they're doing can bypass the vats in 5 minutes ...

pull the relay out of the module and jump it with a wire, it literally is that easy to bypass the whole system.

most people i've come across in the last 10 years have bypassed it "if" the system was giving them issues.

it does deter petty thieves and joyriders however (and cars with manual gearbox would benefit from this because without it you'll just push the car and pop the clutch in second gear and off you go).

#13 ·
Thanks for this...just saved one of my car clubs member's ride from being sold!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.