Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Removing front control arm bushing?

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr9two9 
#1 ·
Im trying to get these out. I tried burning the rubber out on one of them but the outter sleeve does not want to give.

#2 ·
Most people drill/cut the rubber out of the old bushing, and then cave in the sleeve through whatever means you prefer, without damaging the control arm.

#4 ·
You talking upper or lower?

Lower can be removed with a properly-sized hammer/sledge, applied at the correct angle on the INNER lip of the bushing shell. The control arm is placed on it's side on a suitable supporting surface--work bench, large block of wood, etc, with the bushing "cantilevered" over the edge/end of whatever surface you're using--so there's room under the arm for the shell to move out of position. Hold the arm with one hand, and strike the bushing shell correctly and it will pop loose from the arm with no other effort.

TRUST ME, I've done enough of these.

Yes, corrosion and age can be issues.....and unless you're talking about uppers, that's how I have done it for quite a long time--and successfully. It is NOT how the book says to do it, I will admit....and the proper way to install new bushings is still using a press/tool of one type or another.

Uppers are more involved, so please say which you're having problems with.

#6 ·
I have done the uppers the same way for years. A good air hammer with chisel works wonders. Walks even the most rusted bushings right out. It will beat up your body real well though. :D

#7 ·
Well guys it was a bear getting mine out. I used a torch to burn the rubber out and had to use a dremel to cut notches in the bushing shell then alot of beating and cussing.

The Kent Moore tool for doing it is $800! My ball joint press wouldnt work I didnt have the right adaptor cups.

#11 ·
Does anybody have the part number for energy suspension front control arm busings (upper and lower in black)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.