Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Brake lights and right turn signal dont work

17K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fred Kiehl 
#1 ·
Just as the tittle says, my right turn signal doesn't work, nor do my brake lights. The third brake light works, I read somewhere that it is on a different circuit. My parking lights all work, I checked all the bulbs and fuses and everything looked fine. I was reading a similar thread, and from it, it looks like I have the same problem, the turn signal switch in steering column. Is this what you guys think it is? On a side note do our brake lights, and turn signal work like Christmas tree lights, if one goes out all go out (If left side brake light bulb goes out right side doesn't work, If rear turn signals don't work, the front doesn't work? Any help will be appreciated, I can't really drive the car right now due to getting pulled over every time I take it out :mad:.

#2 ·
If a left turn signal goes out, the left does not work, and if a right one goes out the right does not work. In either case the signal will not blink, but your dash light will stay on steady for that side. The third brake light is on a different circuit, but uses the same switch as the regular brake lights. It could be just a bulb. Check all the bulbs on the side that the turn signal is not working first. If it is not a bulb, it is probably your turn signal switch. The brake light switch does not affect your turn signals, but the turn signal switch affects your brake lights. You can also check for voltage/switch contact for the brake switch on your brake pedal, before making a final decision to open you steering column.

#3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply, I understand that "If a left turn signal goes out, the left does not work. If the right turn signal goes out, the right does not work" lets say,(this is not my case, all my bulbs are fine I made sure by replacing them with some brand new bulbs I had laying around) if one of the bulbs go out in the rear for the right turn signal, does the other bulb not blink, same with the front, does the front right turn signal not work either? In my case when I turn the right turn signal on the dash light stays steady on that side, so it is most likely the turn signal switch from what I understand. Thank you again for the response your help is really appreciated. Anyone else have any input?

#4 ·
Thank you for the quick reply, I understand that "If a left turn signal goes out, the left does not work. If the right turn signal goes out, the right does not work" lets say,(this is not my case, all my bulbs are fine I made sure by replacing them with some brand new bulbs I had laying around) if one of the bulbs go out in the rear for the right turn signal, does the other bulb not blink, same with the front, does the front right turn signal not work either? In my case when I turn the right turn signal on the dash light stays steady on that side, so it is most likely the turn signal switch from what I understand. Thank you again for the response your help is really appreciated. Anyone else have any input?
If one of the two blinker bulbs were to go out or the front.. Yes you will lose blinkers on that side (they will just come on bright and not blink

#6 ·
I want to clarify my statement. If any turn light bulb on a given side is burned out, or not making contact, that side will not blink. Even one bulb, be it front or rear will cause a no blink situation. None of the bulbs will blink on that side, even the good ones.

You have to make sure the bulb is making contact with the rivets on the bottom of the socket. You also have to make sure there is voltage at the contacts on the bottom of the socket. A good cleaning and regreasing of the bulbs is probably in order, because the old grease is usually hardened, and can interfere with the bulb/socket contacts.

You can tell which bulb is burned out or not working, because the individual bulb will not light up when you use the turn siginal, and the interior indicator light will stay on steady.

The turn signal switch not working will not show the "constant on" indicator on the dash. The light will be off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.